Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Netgear router (DG834GT) and Adaptor (WG111T) running on windows XP with the most recent drivers I can get.
The problem seems most evident on Counter Strike Source (The only game I have).
I will log on to a server and look at the ping it could be high (180-600-900) or low
(5-30) this is completely random. If I am lucky enough to have it start low I can play as normal; however out of the blue the ping will spike to high usually to around 300. This does not happen on a regular or uniform timescale.
The connection will then have to be reset by disconnecting the USB adaptor and re-connecting it again, if I use the repair option on the desktop I run the risk of crashing the comp. The problem started about two weeks ago the comp was filled with various downloads so I reformatted, the problem went away for a one day and is now back affecting the comp. The only software I have on here since the reformat is Microsoft office 2003 Half Life 2\Counter Strike Source, Paint shop pro and I-Tunes NO other downloads including MSN messenger are on here. The connection works very well while browsing the internet with the occasional snag causing me to have to reset. Also the equipment claims to be 802.11g 1mbps however I only see maximum of 54mbps or less and I have the adaptor and router on the 802.11g 1mbps Channel (6). Any help at all would be very welcome.

Regards
Matt

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have you eliminated possible interference sources? Things like Microwave ovens, 2.4ghz phones, etc. will play havoc with 802.11b/g transmissions. Also, I don't understand the comment that you "only" get 54mbps but were expecting 1mbps?

The fast that you have to regularly reset is a big clue, that should not be happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i have no other equipment near the adaptor or the router and the signal as almost full. I also meant 108mbps and i am only getting 54 at best. And it appears that the ping is only spiking after a new round of counter strike starts and these are less disruptive and less frequent. BT who supply the internet connection say they are trying to ugprade all the connections from 1 meg to 2 meg could this be of any significance.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
FYI, the 108mbit connection is 90% advertising hype and 10% reality. You'll never come close to that bandwidth in real life.

One issue that may play into your problems is the fact that 802.11b/g is half-duplex, and by it's very nature a ping will take a lot longer to make a round trip when there is other traffic on the wireless connection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have changed to a non 108mbps channel, and have had no problems as well as an increase in signal. Thanks very much for your help John.

Regards
matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.