Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone here can help me! I have Spectrum Gig internet and I keep having partial outages like once a week (usually at night between 1-4 am). Some Wi-Fi devices go down and some hardline PCs go down, but not everything at once. Spectrum says they don't see any signal issues. I have tried their modem and mine (Surfboard S33). I currently have 6 Eero Pros all hardwired together throughout the house. I have even tried swapping my gateway Eero. I have no idea how I can have a partial internet outage. That doesn't even make sense! I can't even Google the answer because no one else seems to have ever had this issue. Before I upgraded to Gig last year, I had Turbo with only 1-2 issues in a 4 year span.
Please if anyone has ANY ideas at all would be great! (Oh and FYI they did come out once and they told me the signal was coming in to strong and installed a limiter on it to reduce the strength).

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,560 Posts
If you're using Torrent or similar when it happens, your ISP is throttling.

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
I never even heard of Spectrum Gig Internet before, so I looked it up. Are you running on a wired or wireless plan?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're using Torrent or similar when it happens, your ISP is throttling.
No torrents, tho they have never throttled me before when using. Usually we are just playing multiplayer games like COD, Stellaris, or D3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never even heard of Spectrum Gig Internet before, so I looked it up. Are you running on a wired or wireless plan?
They don't have a wired or wireless plan to my knowledge. It's just basic, turbo, gig. The signal comes in from a coax line into my modem. From there it goes to my gateway Eero then to the other Eeros/devices.

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
I'd start by trying to narrow down the failures to either the Spectrum feed or the Eero mesh network. If a connection directly to the Spectrum gateway doesn't fail, maybe you're looking in the wrong place for the failures.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,207 Posts
If you're having intermittent disconnects on only some of the devices on your network, then the disconnects have nothing to do with your ISP or them throttling your connection, since those changes would be network wide. The problem is more likely on your LAN with one of your access points or a computer.

To start, read through Windows Event Viewer for errors or disconnects on any of the machines that lost connection overnight. Are any updates installing? Also check your access points and main router and see if there are any error logs or automatic updates that may point to where the problem is. Do you have any other electronic devices running in the middle of the night that could be interfering with your wireless signal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd start by trying to narrow down the failures to either the Spectrum feed or the Eero mesh network. If a connection directly to the Spectrum gateway doesn't fail, maybe you're looking in the wrong place for the failures.
How tho? It's not a full service loss. I still have internet. It's just not to every device. I can have 2 gaming PCs hardwired in and one has internet and the other doesn't.

Usually that's what I would do, but idk how to check it in that manner. Even my WiFi devices do the same. One echo has internet the other does not. I even tried calling Eero and they tried a bunch of stuff. Like resetting the whole mesh, swapping out the gateway etc. Seems odd all 6 Eeros would be bad.

Rebooting the modem fixes the problem every time. But I have tried two different modems too! I'm so frustrated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're having intermittent disconnects on only some of the devices on your network, then the disconnects have nothing to do with your ISP or them throttling your connection, since those changes would be network wide. The problem is more likely on your LAN with one of your access points or a computer.

To start, read through Windows Event Viewer for errors or disconnects on any of the machines that lost connection overnight. Are any updates installing? Also check your access points and main router and see if there are any error logs or automatic updates that may point to where the problem is. Do you have any other electronic devices running in the middle of the night that could be interfering with your wireless signal?
I have 6 Eeros hardwired together throughout the house. I have 3 gaming laptops, 5 gaming PCs, about 5-6 echos, 5 Google homes, Philips hue hub, about 7 cell phones, smart led strips, 3 cleaning robots, smart AC, 3 smart plugs, 3 smart air purifiers... And the list goes on.

They are all always on. I can't figure out why it's almost always at night (not every time). Also sometimes it's the Eeros updating but it tells me when and they are only 6 months old. I thought it was them until I called Eero.

Rebooting the modem always fixes the issue for at least 2-3 hrs but usually 4-9 days. Idk how to check the logs on the echos. Weird thing is... The Echo Cube I own ALWAYS goes out. Everything else is random. Sometimes my PC sometimes someone else's. Sometimes 5 devices, sometimes 10, but never all at once. And whichever devices went down stay down until I reboot the modem they don't change they don't come back up. But next time it happens it could be a completely different set of devices.

How would you suggest I test the mesh/network? I have a huge background in technically but this surpasses me...

·
4,207 Posts
Start with Windows Event Viewer then look in the Eeros router's software for error logs. I don't know the software to point you in a particular direction. It's easier to troubleshoot when the problem happens: log into the router and see what's disconnected.

I would probably lean towards misconfiguration in the Eeros router or a problem router. Does this system use an ethernet backhaul? You typically have to make some setup changes to all the access points to use ethernet backhaul correctly vs wireless. Verify your configuration. With all that stuff you have connected to your network, you may have to disconnect everything then start adding access points and devices back to the system a little at a time to see what's stable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Start with Windows Event Viewer then look in the Eeros router's software for error logs. I don't know the software to point you in a particular direction. It's easier to troubleshoot when the problem happens: log into the router and see what's disconnected.

I would probably lean towards misconfiguration in the Eeros router or a problem router. Does this system use an ethernet backhaul? You typically have to make some setup changes to all the access points to use ethernet backhaul correctly vs wireless. Verify your configuration. With all that stuff you have connected to your network, you may have to disconnect everything then start adding access points and devices back to the system a little at a time to see what's stable.
I wish I could do that! They are all automatic. The built in software auto detects the backhaul. And yes all 6 are plugged in. I don't use the wifi mesh because hardwired is faster/more stable. As for logs I'd have to call. The last 2 times I called they didn't see any issues. They also had me swap gateways and even factory reset each one and rebuild the mesh from scratch. The problem I have is because it's mesh, even if one Eero is bad, all my devices just connect to a different one. Also at the the of the issue, rebooting the routers doesn't fix the issue, only rebooting the modem. So if it is the mesh, again idk how to isolate the bad one from the 6. (Eero support wasn't even able too) according to them it all looked fine.

·
4,207 Posts
I couldn't find an Eeros user manual, just some FAQ's on setting it up. I've gotta say, this Eeros system seems awful... Pretty much every router has some software built into it that you can log into through a web browser in order to configure all its settings or to add nodes or access points. They almost always have a section where you can enable or review connected devices or logs, but maybe yours doesn't. The only thing listed on the Eeros website was an app. There is a section in the app labeled Troubleshooting which may offer some help if you drill down into that section and choose an option related to disconnecting. I don't know what the exact options are.

I saw a menu item in the app for Updates. I would navigate to that section and see if you can turn off automatic updating, at least temporarily. I've had problems in the past with some auto updates introducing bugs in other Mesh systems.

Hard-wired backhaul is definitely the best way to go and you're right that the Eeros auto detects wired or wireless connections and you can mix them. So you can probable rule that out unless you have bad cabling, wall jacks or are running 2 ethernet cables concurrently to the same node.

This is what I would do:
  1. You're going to need a network scanning program like Netscan so you can get the IP addresses of all the devices and nodes on your network and save a report.
  2. When something disconnects, you run a scan to see if the devices have disconnected from your network so you know where to start. Then you can ping a device/node IP address from any computer to see if you get a response to know if it's active.
  3. If a device that disconnects is a PC, click the Windows Start button and type Event Viewer then look at the Window Application and System logs for errors or warnings around the time your device disconnected. That may give you some clues as to whether it's a wifi disconnection, dhcp problem, etc.
  4. You may have a backhaul daisy chain or device problem with one node or wiring to that one device. And that device may be alternating between how it connects to your other nodes - if wired disconnects, it will switch to wireless. Which may explain different devices getting disconnected.
With all the stuff you have connected, you could easily have devices causing problems or providing interference to a wireless signal. That's another reason to use a network scanner to make sure all the nodes are online during an outage. Needing to reboot the modem is probably just a correlated issue since it doesn't make any sense. Try replacing the modem to router cable.

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
How tho? It's not a full service loss. I still have internet. It's just not to every device. I can have 2 gaming PCs hardwired in and one has internet and the other doesn't.
You just didn't read what I wrote, let's try that again.

If you still have some devices connected to the Internet, and you've tried multiple modems, I am guessing you probably have a problem with the mesh network.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn't find an Eeros user manual, just some FAQ's on setting it up. I've gotta say, this Eeros system seems awful... Pretty much every router has some software built into it that you can log into through a web browser in order to configure all its settings or to add nodes or access points. They almost always have a section where you can enable or review connected devices or logs, but maybe yours doesn't. The only thing listed on the Eeros website was an app. There is a section in the app labeled Troubleshooting which may offer some help if you drill down into that section and choose an option related to disconnecting. I don't know what the exact options are.

I saw a menu item in the app for Updates. I would navigate to that section and see if you can turn off automatic updating, at least temporarily. I've had problems in the past with some auto updates introducing bugs in other Mesh systems.

Hard-wired backhaul is definitely the best way to go and you're right that the Eeros auto detects wired or wireless connections and you can mix them. So you can probable rule that out unless you have bad cabling, wall jacks or are running 2 ethernet cables concurrently to the same node.

This is what I would do:
  1. You're going to need a network scanning program like Netscan so you can get the IP addresses of all the devices and nodes on your network and save a report.
  2. When something disconnects, you run a scan to see if the devices have disconnected from your network so you know where to start. Then you can ping a device/node IP address from any computer to see if you get a response to know if it's active.
  3. If a device that disconnects is a PC, click the Windows Start button and type Event Viewer then look at the Window Application and System logs for errors or warnings around the time your device disconnected. That may give you some clues as to whether it's a wifi disconnection, dhcp problem, etc.
  4. You may have a backhaul daisy chain or device problem with one node or wiring to that one device. And that device may be alternating between how it connects to your other nodes - if wired disconnects, it will switch to wireless. Which may explain different devices getting disconnected.
With all the stuff you have connected, you could easily have devices causing problems or providing interference to a wireless signal. That's another reason to use a network scanner to make sure all the nodes are online during an outage. Needing to reboot the modem is probably just a correlated issue since it doesn't make any sense. Try replacing the modem to router cable.
Thanks! I'll see what I can do here. That's alot of information. I really appreciate it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts