Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing intermittent network connectivity issues. I find that the closer I get to the router the better the speed and no disconnects. I went to Best Buy to purchase a router signal booster and the agent informed me that all I needed was to upgrade to an "N" band router and adapter card. This machine is a Toshiba A355-S6940 with an Intel 5100 wireless "A" - "G" - "N draft" card and the driver is version 12.0.0.73. Can I replace this card with an Intel 5300 N band? If I replace the current router which uses "A" and "G" bands with an "N" band router will this affect other laptops on this network? The other laptops on the network are closer to the router and do not have any issues.

· Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,493 Posts
You don't really need a booster, just get a Dual Band Router with removable Antenna similar to this one. You may replace the Antenna with High-gain if there's a signal issue.

Can I replace this card with an Intel 5300 N band? Yes

If I replace the current router which uses "A" and "G" bands with an "N" band router will this affect other laptops on this network? The N router by default is on Mixed Wireless Mode, meaning it shd be able to detect A/B/G/N Mode

The other laptops on the network are closer to the router and do not have any issues. You shd be fine.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.