Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a problem at work with our internet connection being sporadic at best. When opening any page, you often see 'Page cannot be displayed'. Hit refresh and sometimes it works, but not always. Eventually it will work, but it's getting frustrating!!

I have a BT broadband account, running a 2Wire wireless router, which then goes through a Netgear FVS318 Firewall. Also, there is a 3Com Wireless access point plugged into the Netgear. Could this setup be the problem? I've just started a new job and am a bit worried to pull it all apart in my first week in case I end up with lots of spares and no network!!!

I am a bit of a newbie with networking, so I may ask some really dumb questions!!!

Thanks for any help folks!! :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, you have a lot of moving parts, that's for sure! I'd seriously consider eliminating some pieces for a test to see if that helps. Since you have a NAT firewall in the 2Wire router, try removing the Netgear Firewall and the 3COM WAP and see if that helps the situation. I'd also check into poor connections, especially between common components like the front end of the network. It sounds like you're getting lots of packet loss, have you checked at someplace like www.dslreports.com and done a packet loss test?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John for your reply....

I am taking the extra pieces out this afternoon and see what happens!! I'll let you know my findings.

Also, it seems like all the ip addresses on the network are public ones, so that's not good either (so I've been told). It might be best to start again from scratch!

Thanks again...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I spent some time on this now, and I'm not really getting anywhere!!
This a brief look at the config for a Netgear fvs318 Firewall:
Our ISP is giving us dynamic IP's. The config says the correct info for getting IP from ISP, and use particular DNS server IP's. It isn't using a Dynamic DNS Service.
I took out the Netgear fvs318 Firewall and plugged all the cables into the 2wire router, set it up the same way and....nothing. I couldn't see any webpages at all. I put it all back to how it was, and it was back to viewing web pages, although it's so rare we get them first time. Could this be anything to do with security rather than IP's/DNS setups? Have we got too many Firewalls? Can we turn off the windows firewall on each pc safely?
If you need more info let me know.

I'm going to write my resignation soon otherwise!! :sad:

Thanks for any help....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.