Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whuddup whuddup. I noticed something similar to this in a PC I used to own, so I'm starting to wonder what this could be. What happens is while I'm running something that uses the entire CPU (such as old games, Doom, Diablo, some applications), the computer will freeze up to about .33 fps for 10 seconds or so, at about 2 minute intervals. Any sound at this time also becomes choppy. This phenomena begins about 5 minutes after the CPU is in full use, and lasts until the CPU is no longer in full use. I doubt this is a video card problem, because some games run fine that don't overly stress the CPU, and sometimes the choppiness carries on for a few minutes after I reach the desktop. Therefore, my relevant specs:

Pentium IV 1.6 GHz
768 Megs DIMM RAM
I honestly don't know the motherboard type... the PC, besides the video card, was pre-assembled by Compaq.

Anyways, I read somewhere, possibly Tom's Hardware, that Pentium 4's have a built-in protection against loss of heat sink that prevents them from melting totally and causes a huge framerate loss, and that they generally handle heat sink loss better than Athlons. I was wondering if the heat sink may be causing my problem (the framerate loss in the article was constant until the heat sink was reattached), or if there may be something else to blame. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-RwandanSlave-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Intels are actually built better for thermal damage. You could take a look at the processor, and put on some thermal paste and buy a new high performance thermaltake heatsink/fan combination. And if that doesnt work-- hell, at least you know your system runs cool :)... also-- what kind of video card are you running? Maybe your video card isn't die hard enough to run this application. Another thing might be that the video card on the motherboard is still enabled (takes from your main RAM). I dont know what it is, just a few ideas... Let me know if I helped

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.