Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a strange sound problem that I have been unable to find a solution to.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6810us. About a week ago I got the red X over my audio device with the message "No Audio Output Device Installed". When this shows up my device manager does not show any sound devices and no sounds works.

Occasionally when I restart, the audio comes back and will work for a while. Eventually, it will show it working but the audio will simply stop and I can not get it to return and upon restart it will go back to not working at all.

I have tried installing new drivers, but normally get an error message indicating there is no device installed for which to install the drivers.

I have uninstalled everything, reinstalled drivers, etc. etc. and nothing seems to work.

Once an a while when I restart and it happens to be working sound will only come out of the laptop speakers (even with headphones plugged in), other times no sound will come out of the speakers, but if I plug my headphones in I get sound. But, eventually, it always goes back to not working at all.

Lately it has no been working at all, even on restart I will only get audio back about 1 in 10 tries.

I have scoured the internet and found similar problems and tried as many solutions as I could, but have gotten nowhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Go here for the sound driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3686683

Note: After downloading the sound driver, uninstall the sound driver from add/remove
and also check C:\program files folder for the sound folder and delete that too.
reboot pc, if a new found hardware wizard box pops up simply cancel it.
Now install the sound driver that you have downloaded after it finishes installing
reboot pc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Riskyone,

I have downloaded those drivers and the only one that seems to do anything is Realtek, but upon restart there is no change and no hardware is found.

When trying to install the other two drivers listed on that page I get an error saying "Driver could not be installed: No device found for this driver"

I am still seeing nothing in the device manager (No !'s, no indication of any sound device)

I have attached a full Everest report, maybe that will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You are running a little hot.

Look for blocked ports and fans that aren't running. Use a can of compressed air to blow into any and all screened areas to try and remove as much dust as possible. If you can get things cooled down than you might get some functionality back. Might explain why it was working sometimes in the beginning but then stopping (as it got too hot).

Pauldo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pauldo, I'm going to run and get some air now. I've suspected for a while things are getting clogged up. Occassionaly when I go to boot my computer it will shutdown immediately. But, that's for another forum.

As far as this problem goes - I just did a complete factory restore and it still did nothing to solve the problem. But, I'll start with trying to blast some dust out of it (the fan is damn near inaccessible on these HPs, but I'll do my best!)

Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I blasted it with some air and cleaned it out the best I could and it brought the temp down to about 140 degrees F. But still no functionality from the sound card.

Is it possible it somehow got burnt out and fried?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quite possible.

One way to make sure that it isn't software related is to download and run a liveCD of Linux. Basically, you are burning an iso image to a CD and then booting to that. When it loads, and you don't get any errors, you see if you have sound (a start-up song plays just like in Windows). If so, then it's a problem with Windows, conflicted drivers or something. If not, than it is more than likely a hardware failure. Once you are done, just remove the CD and you are back to Windows.

Here's a link to one that I have used: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Let us know how it goes.

Pauldo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.