Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've tried to fix it myself, but I know when to admit defeat. I'm hoping some of you guys can help out.

For the past several months, I've noticed that my system32 folder was no longer present in my Windows folder. Naturally I assumed this to be some sort of error, as without the files in that folder the system would be seriously unstable if not completely inoperable. In any case, whenever I tried to replace the folder with a backup copy I got an error message saying that the folder already existed, and that it would be inadvisable to overwrite the files. Seeing as how no problems were occurring due to the apparent absence of the folder, I decided to leave it alone for the moment.

Moving forward to the summer, I became aware of a delay on my system, which apparently had no pattern. It caused few problems except when I was using Skype (free internet telephone), in which case it would cause a lag in the conversation and sometimes even severe static. I left it alone for a while.

Very recently, as I had yet to upgrade to service pack 2 (I know, I'm slow), I downloaded and installed the update. After this I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, and this is where things went a little crazy. Every game that required DirectX to function was completely shot, sometimes crashing during loading, or sometimes loading with awfully distorted graphics and an interface so slow you'd think it wasn't moving at all. I tried rolling back to my previous drivers, which actually made the problem worse. I tried to return the system to a previous configuration, only to remember that I'd disabled it sometime ago during a problem with a virus, and that I'd forgotten to switch it back on.

My next tactic was to try and reinstall DirectX, all to no effect. I can neither install, uninstall, nor reinstall DirectX, and the diagnostic of that good program reports the following problems:

Numerous files cannot be located (though they seem to exist, just not where they're supposed to, including DDRAW.dll)

Problem accessing DirectInput - No information available

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 42 (Query for D3D): HRESULT = 0x80004002 (No interface)

The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed (as far as I'm aware this shouldn't have any serious impact on the system)

Going back to the system32 folder, I still can't find it, and now problems do seems to be increasing. I cannot find any trace of it on my system. However, whenever I try to make a new folder named "system32" as a test, Windows reports that the folder already exists. Most of the files that belong there (or copies of them) seem to be in scattered places throughout my drive. I've run numerous virus scans with the latest definitions and all is clear, so viruses don't seem to be the culprit (which was my first assumption). The only other thing I could think of was a program called "Bug Doctor" which I ran some time ago, which supposedly corrected numerous errors on my drive. I tried to undo what it had done, but met with little success. Could this program be the culprit?

As it stands, everything seems to function aside from games that require DirectX (I can also play Age of Empires I & II, which helps me let off some steam). Music, MPEGs, DVDs, internet, security software, everything works aside from games that require DirectX.

I have additional technical data if anyone thinks that they can help me, otherwise I seem to have three choices:

a) Reinstall Windows
b) Wipe my drive and then reinstall everything
c) Buy a new computer (drastic I know)

I'd be grateful for useful responses as soon as possible, thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok, the system32 folder under Windows 2000/XP is flagged as Hidden, and System, which causes it not to show up

Want to see it?

go to start -> Run and type in this:

%windir%\system32

don't mess with the stuff inside it though, inside it are core windows system files

As far as your video, you might want to find the drivers for your video card from the manufacturer, and not rely on windows drivers, which I think is what your computer was doing. Do you know who manufactures your video card?

edit: ok I didn't see the nv4disp.dll, I guess I just skimmed over it. Download the latest nvidia drivers here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think those are the drivers I have installed.

When I try to reinstall them anyway, I get a warning telling me that my graphics card hasn't been tested for use with XP, and that it may cause system instability. This crazy though, as I've been running XP on my system since I got the card, and I've never had this before.

I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4600, 128mb.

P.S. Thanks for telling me about the sys32 folder. Computers have always been a mystery to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.