Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the issue, I have a small(ish) network set up to share an internet connection throughout my student house. There are, in all, about 10 connections via a Router and a Switch.

All the computers are fine, except for one, which does something weird everytime it restarts its connection to the router. It is re-assigned a IP address! So it ends up with an IP address that keeps incrementing, and has now reached 192.168.1.28!

IN an attempt to fix this, I diabled the redundant software bridge in its newtwork connections. Since then, its beena tempremental little bugger!! It works sometimes, it doesnt work others, and when I try to run a 'repair' it cannot Renew the Ip address or flush the ARP cache, but seconds later, it reassigns an IP address again!!

I then removed the redundant software bridge in its network connections, and removed an uneeded network protocol. This hasnt solved the problem, and i'm stuck. I can't manually assign an IP address as doing that (using the router) means that it wont auto assign for the others, and there isnt enough space to static assign for all the items.

In short, there are a couple of solutions/reasons for the problem:

1. The Network Card is giving out.
2. The computer is confuzzled within itself and needs a clean out (i.e. format)

Any other possibilities,. please tell me.!!

Rich Allan

(And yes, I know im posting alot of topics today, but alot has gone awry!!)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If the following repair options don't tame it, I suggest just setting static parameters for that machine.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.