Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba Satellite A105 with Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 ABG network adepter which has started disabling itself without notice or warning. I will be in the middle of an online session and am disconnected with the card indicating it is disabled and attempts to enable fail, infact I am shut out of the properties or access to the card. The solution I have used to date is to restore the system to earlier date and the problem is resolved, but this has proven to be only a temporary fix. Anyone know the solution? I have yet to determine the cause.

John

·
Citizen of the world
51,138 Posts
Download the latest drivers from Toshiba, Intel wireless adapters are problematic with older drivers. Of course, it could also simply be defective...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yes the Intel drivers really need to be updated, but also realize that the Toshiba's also have a few other issues:

1. Most Toshiba's have a physical wireless switch on the front or side of the machine. It is very hard to see on some machines and can sometimes get accidentally bumped or pushed when moving or handling the machine. Toshiba does have a newer wireless software management tool of their own that may tell you to turn the switch on if for some reason it is turned off.

2. Toshiba software - well what can I say. Toshiba loads up a machine with more Toshiba bloatware to redundantly control or manage everything from batteries, touch pads, display's and wireless connections. There is always a possibility that the Toshiba software could be conflicting with either the Windows or Intel wireless controller. But I would deal with Intel driver updates first.

I prefer the Intel Wireless Control Manager over anything else, however, on a Toshiba, it is tricky to eliminate the Toshiba software and then you need to disable the Windows Wireless Zero. Not something a novice should attempt.

First try the Windows Update and choose Custom rather than Express. Look for Hardware Updates specifically for the Intel Wireless Card. If you do not find anything there, I would recommend the Intel Support site rather than Toshiba's Support site, as I find the Toshiba Support rather lacking in completeness and detail.

Good luck!

JamesO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.