Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am curious to find out why my Intel Graphics Driver is not updating correctly.

Naturally, the updates come from windows updates, this is the first update I have encountered that requires me to do a system restore in order to use my computer.

Recently I built my first computer. It was fairly easy as I've done everything but that before so I know my way around now. I installed windows 7 64bit and it was running perfectly well, even with the addition of 8gb RAM a week later. The only problem I faced was that windows update enables an update which somehow is incompatible with my motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V). I am yet to purchase a graphics card as I have been incredibly busy and need to fund it, therefore it is not possible to use the drivers for that prospective graphics card. Unfortunately, that means using the onboard graphics, which is quite exceptional for a motherboard. Never the less, without this update the screen becomes stretched and this hinders the usage experience.

To be more specific on the update, here are the following details:

Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Download size: 44.7MB

Update type: recommended
Intel Corporation Display software update released in August,2011

driverid:20446427​

Can anyone help in this matter?

Kind regards,

ehababoud

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Naturally, the updates come from windows updates, this is the first update I have encountered that requires me to do a system restore in order to use my computer.
I would suggest downloading the driver from the motherboard manufacturer (ASUS) website.

The Windows Update drivers can be problematic and are usually for last resort if the manufacturer does not provide a driver.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, thanks for your swift reply. unfortunately i made that attempt and it resorted in the same issue. i'm not sure if i'm allowed to upload links onto this forum, as I have not used it for a while but if you could check which one to download (as there are a number of them) that would be great. I made an attempt at only downloading the top one, as it was the latest update, and it was my assumption that it would be the most stable

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Posting links are fine as long as they pertain to the topic.

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to upload links onto this forum, as I have not used it for a while but if you could check which one to download (as there are a number of them) that would be great.
I'm only showing one Graphics (VGA) driver for your motherboard and Windows 7 64 bit

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops. i must have been looking at the LAN drivers when i mentioned 3. i have tried that 200MB+ one and it hasn't worked. i understand that some Linux OSs provide alternative drivers/software to stock ones in many circumstances. is this also the case in windows?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah yes, i knew i forgot something.

upon the requested restart from the driver, the windows splashscreen appears. then of course it says welcome while still loading the OS. then after it goes blank, as if it has tried to adjust the screen resolution and failed. as my computer is password protected, I guess that, it proceeds with more loading then back to the darkness. Waiting a while doesn't help at all and i know it's not a speed issue because the system is blisteringly fast. 16GB RAM/sandybridge i7/etc. i can't really put my finger on it at all

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm good point. my computer does not have an optical drive installed but i can obtain the monitor(samsung P2370HD)'s drivers somewhere. you're exactly right though. when i enter screen resolution, it does not say that it is that driver, in fact it says something along the lines of an unknown device.
I am connecting via VGA and HDMI but I am using VGA at the moment, as HDMi was not recognised, although it's probably because of the driver, if i'm correct. Let me try that and i'll get back to you

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
following your very helpful advice, i have downloaded this driver and it now detects the HDMI port (After reboot) but the screen resolution is still stretched on both. is it worth risking the windows update again? or possibly the motherboard's update? as it now has the benefit of samsung's driver too

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will do. unfortunately i have one of my final deadlines of my degree in 11 hours time. i'll definitely do it within the next 24 hours. in the mean time, thank you.

ehababoud

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again all, through your collectively helpful advice, I have installed that driver again - this driver has helped somewhat. It has helped to the extent that the OS now loads with graphics and in 1080p - the graphics seems to be wrong though, as the font looks like every character is glowing.
I have tried to make alterations to the screen resolution and the windows colour settings but they are on the optimal settings.
Any idea on what it could be?

kind regards,

ehababoud

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just changed it to VGA, works perfectly fine and that's fantastic - thanks for the help. just out of curiosity though, could there be a specific reason behind the HDMI issue?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.