Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I removed Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, using "add/remove - Windows Components. I was never able to get rid of them completely. They can still be found in "program files" and won't delete. Messages from them still jump up here and there, especially at start up.

They are also on the "Windows components Wizard's list" and I can't get them out there. Could use some help, on this stubborn issue.

Thanks
Bob MacP

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are a part of the Windows Operating system. Outlook isn't necessary, but IE is vital for keeping windows up-to-date with the latest patches, which is important to help prevent future malware infections. I do not suggest removing either of them.

However, there is a software called XPLite, use it at your own risk :
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

It can remove a lot of Windows components, and I think you can roll back any changes. But like what was said above, if you remove IE on an XP system, then you probably cannot do Windows Update. And Windows Update does keep your PC patched against the latest vulnerabilities.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Geekgirl. Thank you for that insight. Upon reflection, I will keep IE, to avail Win updates.

Did you watch the Pittsburg Balimore game last night? Tough loss in a great game !!!!

Again, sincerest thanks
Bob MacPherson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.