Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've tried to run a patch (setup.exe), which has been created by Installshield 6.31 - but at start it popups a fatal error screen.
Unfortunately I didnt find anything in Windows event logs, therefore tried to run the patch with enabled logging:

E:\xxx\setup.exe /v"/L*v\"%temp%\pcsinst.log\"

I dont know what Im doing wrong, but no log has been created. Anyone can help me in this old Installshield version the logging how can be enabled?

Remark: Im using Windows 10 home op.system

Thx

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,341 Posts

·
11,341 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bugger. . . . Did you try it with the "E:\xxx\setup.exe " in front of it? If so, and it is still not working unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Installshield 6.31.

Or better yet, hopefully someone that has a clue will drop in here with some other ideas to try. 🤞
Hello!

Yes of course I tried to run the "E:\xxx\setup.exe " - but the same fatal error screen appeared too...
The provided doc unfortunately start with version Installshield 12 (Whats new in Installshield 12) - and Installshield 6.31 is released before 2 years - see Installshield history: InstallShield End-of-Life Policy and Notices | Revenera - altough there I dont see the version 6.31 (just Installshield 5 SP2 and Installshield X) - but there are a remark at the bottom of the table: Versions not listed should be assumed as past extended lifecycle.

I tried to find any documentation for Installshield 6.31, but found only the Bug bullettin: InstallSite: Bugs Bulletin

·
11,341 Posts
Looks like version 6.31 is a really old version. Back in the early 2000's was when Windows NT, 98, ME were being used.

That's also before 64-bit versions of Windows were released. 64-bit version of Windows canNOT run 16-bit software. 32-bit and 64-bit only.

Note that some software may be 32-bit, but the installer itself was 16-bit. Meaning it is up to you to figure out what the 16-bit software changed and what was added. For one of these types of programs, I loaded up XP (32-bit, which can run old 16-bit software) in a VM (virtual machine) and made a backup before anything was changed. Loaded up the program in this setup and noted ALL of the changes. Went back to my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, made all of those noted changes by hand, and that program has been running fine since.

Anywho, I'm rattling on here. If you have the patience and time, you might try something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original application (which used the same InstallShield 6.31) was working fine. I had bought the localised type (hungarian) of the application. Therefore more patch have been released (us, uk, eu - and I tried the hun version) - I tried to start the uk patch too - there when tried to execute the patch, then Installshield started to work fine (loaded the files) - just at the end popuped the error msg, that wrong my pc doesnt have the correct registry entry (because not the uk, but the hun verion of app was installed). But when the hun patch tried to start, then before Installshield could start to loading files popups the fatal error msg. Therefore I think that in hun version of patch misses anything - and that's why the log would have been good, to find out what is missing exactly...

·
11,341 Posts
Sorry but, from where I sit I cannot do anything more but to continue guessing. Hopefully someone else with some other ideas to try will drop in here soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts