Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to install windows XP, it goes thru and start the insalling then it comes to a point where it says preparing to install, and sits in this same spot for hours....never moves on. I can hear the hard drive running, and the hd light goes blinking...what the problem????:upset:

S

·
0 Posts
If the hard drive is blinking it's a good sign that something is going on.

If it's a slower system say a 300 MHz. or something like that it could take up to ten minutes to complete just this portion of the install.

Although I had an Abit motherboard last year that I could not figure out how to get XP Installed on. The only way I got it to work was by installing the hard drive in another machine and load XP and then move it back.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If its that slow of a computer you will not benifit in any way from XP :no:

I would stay with a Win98Se install.

If your systems not slow are you using a burned copy of the OS also is it Pro or Home?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the system

my computer is a gighzt, 40 gighd, 156 ram, I have tried installing it like three times it stops at that one point....where oit says preparin to install. never goes anyfarther, I let it go for 6 hours at this point...where it stops hoping it will do something but gosh nothing....what could be wrong I scandick my computer that took 3 hours, still does the same thing. so scandisk didn't improve it at all. :upset: scratch head....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am installing or I should say trying

windows xp pro, but I really want he home edition. :rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Are you trying to upgrade over another version of Windows?

If so the copy of XP needs to be the upgrade because I think with a full version you need to do a clean install.

I may be wrong about this, If so someone will advise if otherwise..........:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uh,,,,,

If I do a clean install...will it erase all my current files? It ask me if I want to do a clean or upgrade so I been choosing upgrade.....:confused:

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
If you do a clean install yes it will format the harddrive and install a fresh copy. That seems likle it may be the only way you are going to be able to install xp. More than likely the cuase of the problem is a program or driver that you have installed that XP does not like

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ugh!ugh!

that sucks...hmmmI don't want to do the clean than,, I'mn afraid that if I do that something will go wrong, then I can't go back to the way it originally was~! what a drag........................

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Try placing the Xp cd in the drive while your in M.E. it should come up with a screen asking you if you want to Upgrade or Install. (you can do either one with the full install)

Choose upgrade and see if it still locks up after the reboot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.