Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post here. I hope someone can help me.

I have an Asus A8N5X mb. I'm trying to install WinXP (SP2) onto a Western Digital SATA hard drive. It installs windows, at least until the first restart, but after restarting it says "error loading operating system". Everything has power, is plugged in the right places. No other hard drives present. Windows did get installed, but the computer doesn't want to access it.

My guesses:
-something's set wrong in BIOS?
-I need to install SATA drivers from MB manufacturer?
-maybe other faulty hardware?

Any ideas? If it is the drivers, how do I find out the name of the files I need for the floppy?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Depending on what Sata controller you have you should have loaded a driver at the F6 prompt, if you have the intel sata controller in non raid you shouldn't have to but for the others you should have to load a driver be it either raid or non raid, this could definately be the cause of your grief

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

To first re-inforce what others have said. Did you load the drivers for sata with F6?

When you look at Hard Drive Priority is the Sata First? (some times in this area, a CDRom of other attached device can appear - I know, not supposed to but can) Just check to make sure.

Is your boot order set to: CDRom Floppy Sata?

Many of these boards (not sure about this one, but my A8N-sli deluxe does) have two sets of Sata connectors. One for raid and one for non-raid. Are you sure you have the Sata connected to the straight Sata connector and not the Sata raid connector?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.