Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed XP according to how it says on microsoft .com...I first tried to do a clean install by deleting ME..It didnt work, it just kept freezing up and not going past the screen with the blue bar after it boots up..

Then i tried to dual boot and leave ME on the Maxtor 40GB Hard drive and Put XP pro on the Slave 20GB hard drive. It worked fine for about a day now its back to freezing up at the blue bar screen..If i let it sit there for awhile maybe 10-30minutes it will load up sometime it wont......if it does then it will go to the desktop but the internet is real slow or wont work at all. I have tried a new modem, new HD, and even istalled more memory...I originally had 128 but now i have 256 and it still wont work right..

i have tried quick install, full install , upgrade, istalling them on sep partitions on the same HD drive , everything and i still cant get it... can someone help me out...list it in baby steps and maybe ill get it or ill tell you if i already tried it or not..

My system consists of: Presario 5000, original OS Windows ME, 933mhz,128MB Memory, 20GB hard drive, CDrom, stock compaq 56k modem

then i added: Maxtor 40GB HD, 128MB Memory, CD-RW, Zoom V.92 PCI modem

So now it has the 40GB with Me as the master, 20GB HD as the slave with XP, 256 Memory, cd-rw master, cd-rom slave...

if i left out anything let me know...By the way if i use ME wihich i am on right now it works fine

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am not trying to save any data...Any documents that were on there i already put them on floppys etc..

I tried to delete the ME partition, create one, format it etc. and when it was done it just wont work right. I believe possibly that this compaq computerneeds certain files to function correctly . Is this possible???

I have also tried what x5dr suggested and it still does the same thing.. that was about the last thing i tried was doing the drives separately ....Maybe there something im just not doing right.....

my drives are as follows:
A:floppy
C:40GB Maxtor hard drive set to master .
D:20GB stock compaq hard drive set to slave
E: is labeled System_SAV it is a small partition created by ME when you install it.. only 2.72GB
F:CD-RW
G:stock compaq CDROM

thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.