Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed XP according to how it says on microsoft .com...I first tried to do a clean install by deleting ME..It didnt work, it just kept freezing up and not going past the screen with the blue bar after it boots up..

Then i tried to dual boot and leave ME on the Maxtor 40GB Hard drive and Put XP pro on the Slave 20GB hard drive. It worked fine for about a day now its back to freezing up at the blue bar screen..If i let it sit there for awhile maybe 10-30minutes it will load up sometime it wont......if it does then it will go to the desktop but the internet is real slow or wont work at all. I have tried a new modem, new HD, and even istalled more memory...I originally had 128 but now i have 256 and it still wont work right..

i have tried quick install, full install , upgrade, istalling them on sep partitions on the same HD drive , everything and i still cant get it... can someone help me out...list it in baby steps and maybe ill get it or ill tell you if i already tried it or not..

My system consists of: Presario 5000, original OS Windows ME, 933mhz,128MB Memory, 20GB hard drive, CDrom, stock compaq 56k modem

then i added: Maxtor 40GB HD, 128MB Memory, CD-RW, Zoom V.92 PCI modem

So now it has the 40GB with Me as the master, 20GB HD as the slave with XP, 256 Memory, cd-rw master, cd-rom slave...

if i left out anything let me know...By the way if i use ME wihich i am on right now it works fine

:confused: :confused:

G

·
Welcome to the forums mykes68 you should find your answers here........:D

Are you trying to save any data? Or would you like to clean off the drives and start fresh?

Could you post a list of the drives you intend on using in your machine?...................:winkgrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am not trying to save any data...Any documents that were on there i already put them on floppys etc..

I tried to delete the ME partition, create one, format it etc. and when it was done it just wont work right. I believe possibly that this compaq computerneeds certain files to function correctly . Is this possible???

I have also tried what x5dr suggested and it still does the same thing.. that was about the last thing i tried was doing the drives separately ....Maybe there something im just not doing right.....

my drives are as follows:
A:floppy
C:40GB Maxtor hard drive set to master .
D:20GB stock compaq hard drive set to slave
E: is labeled System_SAV it is a small partition created by ME when you install it.. only 2.72GB
F:CD-RW
G:stock compaq CDROM

thanks

G

·
Try taking out the 20 gig. and place the new 40 gig. in the exact same place that the 20 was set up at originally. Also make sure that it is jumpered correctly as master. Make sure that your CD Drives are set up and jumpered properly.

Boot into the bios and see if the 40 gig. drive is detected.

If it is detected as the right size then you need to see if there are any partitions on the drive.

Get a Win. 98 Boot Disk Program from
here then put a new floppy disk into your floppy drive. Double click the file you downloaded to create a new Win. 98 boot disk onto this floppy.

Make sure your boot seqence is set to boot from the floppy drive first. Now boot to this new boot disk that you created and start the computer without CD-Rom support. When you get to the A:> Prompt type fdisk then enter.

Select option number 4. This will tell you if there are any partitions on that drive right now. If there are delete them using the proper sequence that is presented to you while in the fdisk program.

When you've finished post back with your results...............:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.