Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having problems installing xp on to a new HD. I have tried everything from format c: which I couldnt do to fdisk which didnt allow anything to be an active partition until I created a primary DOS partition. Did I do this wrong??? I went to restart my computer and I changed my BIOS settings to boot from cd rom and I got an error message stating that there was no O/S?? Can anyone help me please??? I need to get the xp installation cd to boot from the cd-rom if possible but I cannot get things to coooperate. Everything is showing in my bios as far as HD and cd-roms???? Please someone help????? Thank you......

Brian

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Make sure the boot order in your bios is set to cdrom them hard drive. The XP install from the cd is pretty simple and will fdisk and format the drive for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try loading your old o/s on your hard drive then load xp....sometimes with xp you need a platform to load it...i have never been able to boot from a xp cd...choose new installation when it promts u to

·
Registered
6 Posts
to my knowledge the xp cd-rom isn't bootable.

boot up with a win 95 or 98 startup disk and run "fdisk.exe" delete ALL partitions on the drive (assuming you've backed everything up yo need). create a new DOS primary partition, and let it take up the FUL hd space. i believe you need win 98 or above to install xp on, i know 98,98se,ME,and 2k work fine. when u install off of an 9x system (98,98se,ME) you must convert your hd to a NTFS partition. this will take the full hd dos partition you have allready created and convert it to the NT standard. if u have reformated your drive and don't wish to keep the ghost of you previous system i would suggest letting xp write over it.

S

·
0 Posts
The XP home upgrade is bootable as this is how I have loaded my system.
So I would imagine that you can boot from any version Home, Corp or Pro.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im running XP pro Corporate edition and its bootable

·
Registered
100 Posts
All ver. of XP is bootable, heck win98 SE is bootable. I think you need to check your boot order. Also is this a scsi drive? If so you may need to whip out some drivers when Installing. The only thing you may need Fdisk for when installing XP is do whip the MBR

S

·
0 Posts
Win 95 All Nonbootable
Win 98 Full edition = Bootable
Win 98 SE Upgrade = Nonbootable
Win ME Full Edition = Bootable
Win ME Upgrade = Nonbootable
W2K All are bootable
Win XP All are bootable

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I know for a fact that the Full version is bootable. From there you can delete/recreate/format partitions. However I do not know if the upgrade CD is bootable or not. Other than that it's your boot order (like many have said).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.