Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an ASUS Eee 1001pxd and I chose to get it without an OS, as the university I work gives us copies of Windows 7. I downloaded the ISO, used my iMac to create a bootable USB, and tried to install it, and was told that it doesn't support 64bit.

No problem, I got the 32 bit and went through the same process to prepare the USB. It started to install, rebooted and went to Windows install screen briefly before flashing an error message (it was almost too fast to read, but I think it said something about memory) and dropped back to Asus Express Cloud Gate which told me it could no longer detect the install disk. I tried again, and it did the same thing. The third time, it told me it couldn't detect the disk even before it prepared the drive, and it's done that ever since.

I've tried making the drive in Windows (borrowing a friend's computer), through various ways including Wintoflash and the command prompt, and got no better results. I tried to install Ubuntu, but was told it was an invalid disk.

I've spent hours on this thing, and I can't get anything to work. I can only use Express Cloud Gate. I've reset the boot order in the BIOS to try and avoid using ECG's "Windows Installation Assistant" but it refuses to boot from the USB directly. So what should I try next? Is the problem hardware, or is it Express Cloud Gate? It's obviously detecting something on the USB, as it knew my 64bit USB was invalid, and it started working on the 32 bit. Plus it gives a different error message with the bootable Linux USB.

Thanks!

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,378 Posts
Hobbes, I don't know what Express Cloud Gate is. You're trying to install Win7 on a mini netbook or notebook w/o a DVD drive, correct? You could try YUMI to format the USB stick and put Windows on the stick for installation. Usually the USB sticks have to be formatted for FAT.

I've had mixed success with installing from a USB drive. Depends on the PC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hobbes, I don't know what Express Cloud Gate is. You're trying to install Win7 on a mini netbook or notebook w/o a DVD drive, correct? You could try YUMI to format the USB stick and put Windows on the stick for installation. Usually the USB sticks have to be formatted for FAT.

I've had mixed success with installing from a USB drive. Depends on the PC.
Hi Fred, Thanks for the reply. I've put the Windows ISO on the USB stick using at least five different utilities, programs, and command prompt methods on two different computers. The USB worked and booted fine when I used it on my friend's HP notebook. On my Asus, I get nothing.

Express Cloud Gate is a version of Splashtop that ships from Asus on all their models. I like, it--it's quite handy--but I think it's interfering with my boot priority and its Windows Installation Assistant might be part of the problem too.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,378 Posts
Ok, I googled Splashtop and get the general idea. Sounds like a Linux recovery environment that may run from a flash memory prom on the motherboard. I haven't seen it before, but it doesn't sound like it should interfere with a Win7 install.

You could look at the hard drive partitions with a GPT partition editor and see if you see anything added by Cloud Gate. If not, I'd delete the partition you're installing Win7 on and try again. See if you can read the error message. That's all I got. Maybe someone else will chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.