Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 250GB hard drive in my pc and I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro SP2. It's running on an Abit motherboard with Athlon 64 dual core 4400+ CPU. I got the computer from a friend and decided to do a clean install so I deleted the previous partions and made a new one. It went through the whole formatting process fine then went through the windows setup. It then did an automatic reboot but right after POST it gave me an error message. It said Trap followed by 0000005c ==============EXCEPTION=========================== and a series of hexdecimal messages afterworsd. I've done this twice and had the same problem and I just wanted to know if you guys knew anything about this?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Greetings gfx dude, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Firstly, you only need to install the Operating System one ONE of the HDD's not both of them.
The second HDD can be connected as a "Slave" and can be used to 'save' everything that you download, plus emails and other data, such as music etc.
I suggest that you check the CD for scratches and marks; wipe it very gently from the centre to the edges with a lint free cloth.
To give you the best chance of getting Windows® installed without hassles, such as those you are experiencing, is to completely wipe the HDD with Darik's Boot N Nuke.
Wiping the HDD this way will completely erase everything off the HDD and take it back to a RAW unformatted state, as if it had just come out of the factory.

Just so that you do not forget anything when doing the installation, please read this...

The Windows® XP Installation Check List.

1. The Windows® XP SP2-CD (naturally) :grin:

2. Darik's Boot N Nuke (Click the coloured Link).

3. Please read this guide.

4. The Motherboard CD that contains all the necessary Drivers etc.

A couple of tips...
a. Darik's Boot N Nuke will take about 4½ hours to completely wipe the Drive; however, this will vary depending on how big the Drive is. (That estimate is for a 80Gb HDD).

b. When you get to Figure 7 in 'The Guide', you can create more than one partition here by simply telling Windows® how big you want it. Should you do decide to create an extra partition, it will not be active until you do so after the installation is over and done with...we can give you guidance as to how this is done, so partition away if you wish.

c. Once the installation is finished, with all the Motherboard Drivers installed, and Internet connected, I strongly recommend that you install a reputable Anti Virus program first; then, go to the Windows Update Site and download all the updates (including SP3).
AVG™ is has a very good free version available here.

d. DO NOT have any unnecessary items; such as, USB cameras, Printers etc., attached to the machine...install all these after the installation is finished, and fully updated from Microsoft®.

If you are uncertain about anything here, do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

Good Luck with this task, and when you have finished, please post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.