Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one tell me the correct procedure for installing win 98.
I have partisioned and formatted the hard drive.

I get up to runing setup from the win 98 cd, but then the computer resets it self.:mad:

Thanks for any help :winkgrin:

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are using a floppy boot disk, the drive letter moves up one. So, if D: is normally your CDROM it will be E:.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums slim jim............:D

Sometimes fdisking and formatting isn't the cure all people seem to think it is.

You should probably wipe the hard drive by writing zeros to it and then fdisk and format it. What brand of hard drive are you using.

You can also get a Win98 boot disk here just follow the instructions on how to create a boot disk on the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After you formatted the HD & ran FDISK did you format the new partition? Also try setting the BIOS to boot from the CD or wipe clean the cd with a very very clean non abrasive cloth. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go into your CMOS

I had a computer resetting like yours over and over and I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I found out that I had to go into the CMOS (usually by hitting Del during boot up), go into PnP/PCI Configuration, and set "Reset Configuration Data" to Enabled. Exit and save. The PC resets the configuration and Win98 should be able to proceed. Let us know if this works.

ps. The wording may be different in your CMOS but find Reset Configuration Data and Enable it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmmm

"I get up to runing setup from the win 98 cd, but then the computer resets it self."

So I take it you havent ran setup yet? If you have not yet ran setup than when you get to your cd rom drive prompt say it was E: on your boot disk type E:\oemsetup
that should do the trick for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.