Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my problem. About 3 months ago, I was appointed administrator at a forum. Recently I have become more involved with the whole forum configuration and such (adding new forums, promoting people, reconfiguring the rank system, etc.). This forum was created by using phpBB (version 2.2 I think, whatever is the most recent edition), just so you are aware. Anyways, I have consulted the Senate (board of admins) and we have decided to change the forum style. But here's our problem, the admin who actually has the forum files on his computer is currently idle due to the birth of his first child. We aren't expecting his full return any time soon, or even at all. So, how are we suposed to upload the new template? Right now it only has the default subSilver, and we would like a little bit of change. I have searched phpBB's website for hours with no results. Everything I read says that in order to upload a new style, you need to have the directory on your computer. Please, please, please help us! If there is any way at all to upload new styles and templates without having the actual forum files on your computer, please tell me. This is one of my most dire problems yet, and so far the Tech forum has solved all the rest. It would be much appreciated.
-Sincerely Daywalker

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hi Daywalker and welcome to TSF,

Hmmm .. that is an unusual problem. Are you sure no one has a backup copy of the forum files and as for changing the style I am pretty sure you need the directory. Sorry, but that is a much guidance I can really give you. :cry:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll ask around the board of admins, but I do not think so. Thanks for welcoming me, I think TSF is one of the greatest things ever created. I just know some of the forums I've been on previously have progams that allow you to create and upload your own custom styles (not templates; just changes for color and such). Therefore I thought ours would have something similar. If anyone else has any words of wisdom, they would be appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, now I REALLY need help. I'm so close to busting this problem, yet also so far. I went on an easter egg hunt through the phpBB website again, and found some more info. It says, "subSilver is default phpBB style and you are allowed to edit it as you want and use it as base for other styles. But you are not allowed to use styles by other designers to create your own style.
subSilver is located in templates/subSilver/ in your phpBB directory. Download it on your computer (if you don't have copy of it)." Then it goes on to explain how to create your own style. Therefore, I believe I should be able to create a style, if I download the subSilver directory to my computer. My question is, HOW!? HOW do I download this subSilver directory, and where in the world do I get it!!?? PLEASE HELP ME! I AM DESPERATE! TSF is the best tech support site out there, and I know someone can help me, so please do! I will be eternally grateful to you for your assistance!
-Sincereley Daywalker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.