Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and Merry Christmas,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Merry Christmas.
Any questions in this new thread?
Sorry, I was trying to type a message and messed up, it went through.
I bought a Vantec sata card UGT-ST200 to install and sata hardrive wd raptor 74gig and XPhome sp2. How do I install and format the hard drive with the new os. It has a controller diskette, will it install drivers to allow the drive to be recognized? What do I set or change in the BIOS before I install?
Thanks,
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry did not read the sticky before posting. :4-thatsba My bad.
Merry Christmas Tech Supprt Forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Install PCI card. Make sure to PSU is hooked up from SATA connector. Boot up PC, tap delete to get into bios. Usually by default that SIS board is set to look for and boot with PCI devices at boot time -- but make sure it's so, and set CD rom as 1st boot (for now) since you will be installing the OS and PCI-devices as second, enable other -- put XP CD in CD/DVD drive and put SATA floppy in the floppy drive in now. Save-exit bios. You will eventually see a screen that says press F6 for installing any SATA devices-drivers, install it now --follow prompts.

When done and you are asked to reboot, tap delete key again and get into teh bios and change boot order back to PCI/Other 1st, CD rom 2nd, enable other. Save-exit.

Good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Install PCI card. Make sure to PSU is hooked up from SATA connector. Boot up PC, tap delete to get into bios. Usually by default that SIS board is set to look for and boot with PCI devices at boot time -- but make sure it's so, and set CD rom as 1st boot (for now) since you will be installing the OS and PCI-devices as second, enable other -- put XP CD in CD/DVD drive and put SATA floppy in the floppy drive in now. Save-exit bios. You will eventually see a screen that says press F6 for installing any SATA devices-drivers, install it now --follow prompts.

When done and you are asked to reboot, tap delete key again and get into teh bios and change boot order back to PCI/Other 1st, CD rom 2nd, enable other. Save-exit.

Good to go.
Thanks for the response. Can my old drive remain hooked up with its OS installed? I don't know what will happen but i always find out evrything the hard way. I have two left feet but my wife says at least their both right where they belong, comprende? I read a lot but practical experience pays off and though i read I cannot gain hands on experience without having the pesos to purchase the components to install to find out what I read is paying off by gaining needed technical knowledge of computers, but time passes by and i must read it again to gain the volumes of knowledge, (you guys do this for a living and I don't) that I lose. This also happens in Star Trek "Spocks Brain". Watch it and you understand why Dr. McCoy cannot put Spock's brain back into his head until he puts on the teacher, but the whole time Spock's alive on life support, walking around the freak'n alien planet. Will check back here tomorrow after I do install.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes your old drive can remain hooked up. But you may need to make sure it's not set as a boot drive in the bios to prevent the still installed OS/MBR on your old HDD from trying to remain as a boot drive. Additionally, you could image the drive with Acronis -- there is a free copy available (slightly oder version 7) you can get here - then image the your original HDD and copy the OS/boot/MBR partition over to the raptor (image the drive). Or to make it easy you can just do a fresh install with the raptor and leave the IDE unhooked, and after the OS is installed on the raptor then hook up the IDE drive and part/format it from within windows/disk management.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes your old drive can remain hooked up. But you may need to make sure it's not set as a boot drive in the bios to prevent the still installed OS/MBR on your old HDD from trying to remain as a boot drive. Additionally, you could image the drive with Acronis -- there is a free copy available (slightly oder version 7) you can get here - then image the your original HDD and copy the OS/boot/MBR partition over to the raptor (image the drive). Or to make it easy you can just do a fresh install with the raptor and leave the IDE unhooked, and after the OS is installed on the raptor then hook up the IDE drive and part/format it from within windows/disk management.
I don't know if this is called hijacking a message,but I need similar help. I have an Intel 850E MOBO and am trying to install a PCI SATA card and a Rapter sata drive and want it to be my OS or C drive. I want to make an image of the drive and place it on the new Raptor drive. I do not want to install all XP and OE and SP2 & 3 and all my drivers and programs. I have the Floppy made and the SATA HDD and PCI SATA Card all hooked up, but drive is not formatted or partitioned or even operational yet? I am so afraid I will render my comp inoperable. Can you advise what steps to do in what order? I have Norton's Ghost but have never used it? I assume it will make the image? If the image will fit on a DVD great. I have almost 12 GB on current 14 GB drive. I also have over 40GB left open on my D drive where I could also store the image?
HELP????

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hello Turn on 68

you have started a new thread of your own ...... there is no sense bringing this old one back to life

no problem ...... you have done well

best regards

joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.