Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Norton Antivirus 2009 to replace my Norton 360 which had expired. In the middle of the installation the DVD drive no longer recognized the Norton disc. I downloaded the Norton program and installed it that way. However, now my iTunes give me the following message when it starts:
The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.
I can start iTunes, but I can't sync my iPod. From what I have read, this has something to do with GEAR drivers, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've removed and reinstalled iTunes, but it doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, you are correct "Gear" is used on both Norton and Itunes and you probably have a corrupt Gear "upper filter". First Off I agree with the previous posters Norton is not recommended for home computer use so better then Revo uninstaller (a reg cleaner by default) use this Norton uninstaller:-

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Once rid of Norton, Uninstall Itunes . Use any AV other then Norton or McAfee, Nod32 is considered very good, you might also consider AVG free. Make sure to activate the windows firewall.

Reboot then go to start search and type regedit.exe Navigate to

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11 CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Look in the right payne for "upper and lower filters" You probable will only have "upper" either way delete both or One if there. Reboot to take effect.
Then reinstall ITunes all should now be well.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi Windy, revo is designed to remove programs and then remove all references from the registry, if you activate this option, My reference was that it is better to use the developers method then a third party. And much as I like revo we have experienced problems after using the reg clean function. In order to remove Norton this must be done, so it is better to use the developers tool then a generic third party

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi dkkruis,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The problem you are having can be related to a problem with your installation of Norton AntiVirus or the installation of iTunes.

Please carefully follow the steps below to properly remove and reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2009 and iTunes.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Launch iTunes and see if you still get the same error message. If the error persists, uninstall iTunes from the Add/Remove Control Panel, restart your computer and then download the latest installer for iTunes and reinstall the application.

4. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under 'Norton AntiVirus" to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton AntiVirus 2009

5. When the installation is complete (installation time is only 1-2 minutes total), launch Norton AntiVirus 2009 and select "Run LiveUpdate." When the updates have been installed, restart your computer. Open Norton AntiVirus and again manually run LiveUpdate. If any more updates are installed, restart your computer again. This process will ensure that you have the latest program and definition updates and will also invoke the new "Pulse Updates" feature. This new feature will automatically check for and install definition updates in the background every 5-15 minutes to make sure that you are protected against the latest threats that are discovered.

Please follow the steps above and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Thank you,
Mike

I installed Norton Antivirus 2009 to replace my Norton 360 which had expired. In the middle of the installation the DVD drive no longer recognized the Norton disc. I downloaded the Norton program and installed it that way. However, now my iTunes give me the following message when it starts:
The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.
I can start iTunes, but I can't sync my iPod. From what I have read, this has something to do with GEAR drivers, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've removed and reinstalled iTunes, but it doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.