Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that installing new RAM would be easy but I seem to have run into an issue. I have an MSI 845E max motherboard and have 1 stick of Kingston 256mb 333MHz DDR PC2700 RAM which I have been using for the past 3 years. I bought another (identical) stick of RAM but when I install it the computer won't boot. Appart from panicing what should I do to fix it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new ram appears to work when it's by itself. I'm using it now and everything is ok. Can you suggest any other solutions?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
go to your ram manufacturers website and input your motherboard model into their memory selector/ configurator see if they reccomend the memory model number you have bought as compatible to use in a dual stick configuration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've just spotted the problem. the kingston website says that running dual stick ram is ok but for 266MHz and the one I have is 333MHz. they don't say anything about 333 for this motherboard but it works ok with 1 stick. Is there anything I can do with this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of my sticks are the same. exactly the same. but they are not 266 :(

Thank for your help mates. It's much appreciated. Great website.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
just for the sake of discussion check the reccomendations of other ram makers like

corsair crucial or OCZ see if they offer PC3200 matched sticks that will run in dual channel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.