Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new motherboard for Christmas tomorrow and at present I have 2 Hard Drives:

One 40gb HDD (C Drive)
One 4gb HDD (Recovery Drive)

As I've never installed a new mobo or a attached a HDD to one I have no idea what to do and I don't want to mess it up. I'd appreciate any help in the matter, thanks.

P.s. I really don't want to lose ANY of the data already on the HDD if that's possible.

HK

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
because the chipsets are different and it will stop dead in it's tracks when it cannot find the old m/b
occasionally you can fluke it,but you cannot run a computer for long without the system disk being required at the most inoppurtune moment usually
i would not advise the upgrade until you have purchased the disk as you will most likely end up with a non bootable computer

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what would happen if you put diesel in a petrol car
the same engine is still there would you expect it to start
the operating system needs the m/b drivers to run and you cannot install them until after bootup

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what would happen if you put diesel in a petrol car
the same engine is still there would you expect it to start
the operating system needs the m/b drivers to run and you cannot install them until after bootup
Thanks for that analogy, it's explained it better :smile:

But, if the OS needs the m/b drivers in order to run how am I meant to install the drivers without booting up Windows?

HK

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will I Need The Drivers To Install This Hardware Onto A New Mobo?

Here is my situation... I bought a PC about 3 years ago and it came complete with all the hardware already installed so there was no need for me to install any drivers etc.

Well for Christmas tomorrow I'll be getting the following:

New Motherboard
New CPU
New Video Card

I'm going to be doing a full re-install of Windows XP so I can start fresh and was wondering if when I try attaching the following pieces of hardware to the mobo, will they work just like that or will I need to install drivers etc for them:

CD/DVD Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
Hard Drive
Sound Card

I'm asking because I don't have any driver CDs for the hardware due to the fact it came already installed on the PC.

HK

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The only device there that will need a driver is the sound card. All the rest will install automatically. Is the sound card onboard or a separate card? Either way you will need a driver for it.

If you are installing a new mobo then run the driver disk that comes with it. You will, at the very least, need to install the chipset drivers.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pleasure! If you need any help getting it all up and running, just ask.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have I Got The Steps To Installing My New Hardware Right?

Tomorrow for Christmas I'll be getting the following:

Motherboard
CPU
Power Supply
Video Card

I'll be taking a few parts from my current PC and adding them to the new motherboard along with the new parts and was just wondering whether the following steps are right for installing everything, and whether I've missed anything out:

1) Putting the mobo into my PC Case & attaching the Power Supply to it.

2) Attaching the Video Card, CPU, CD/DVD Rom Drive, Floppy Drive, Hard Drive.

3) Booting up the PC, going into the Bios, selecting 'Boot From CD' and re-installing Windows XP

4) Restarting the PC (and I'm assuming everything will boot up fine)

5) Installing the Video Card drivers

Now I know I've most definitely left something out but seeing as this is my first time upgrading to a new PC I'm not 100% knowledgeable on the subject.

HK

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
please stop starting new threads they all are relative to one another i have merged them all together
install the cpu and ram out of the case it is easier when you see clearly what you are doing
check you have a standoff for each hole in the m/b and that they line up with the holes
install the m/b
install the video card
install the speaker
connect the power plug and any aux plugs required
connect your case start button and reset ect.
check to see you get post
if successful install your drives
install the operating system
run the m/b setup disk
install your video drivers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.