Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe this isnt the right place but I'm installing an ide hdd on a sata motherboard. I'm including a pic so you can see exactly where everything is. I'm not completely stupid but i dont even see a second sata connection to the mobo (LOWER LEFT is the hdd's, not that you wouldnt know) or even where an extra ide cable would plug in. can someone tell me exactly what i need to do?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Letter10/insidedimensione521.jpg?t=1166681824

please help. all of my really important stuff is on this secondary hdd.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
There dosen't seem to be a ide connector on the mobo from the pictures. You do have several options. You can get a ide HD enclosure and connect the HD to the computer through a usb connection, you can install a pci ide contorller card and install the HD on that, or purchase an ide to sata adaptor.
Personally I like the HD enclosure method...in the end you also have a portable storage drive once you pull all the files off of the drive ( I have several of the Vantec units....nice !). If you go with the controller card, I reccomend the Promise cards, they come highly regarded by many others here on the forum and if you get the oem version its only $29

Promise PCI IDE controler card
IDE to USB HD enclosure
IDE to SATA adaptor

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
closer to lower middle

can anyone tell me what that thing is at the end of the arrow?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Letter10/100_2869-22.jpg?t=1166709283

It looks (i say looks because I'm not entirely sure) like an IDE connector.
Am I way off?
I though I'd have no trouble connecting an ATA hdd but it seems like it's going to be a hassle. But I STILL NEED to do it.

Also twajetmech, what did u mean by '....pull all the files off....' ?
If I enclose the hdd in an external case I'll still be using that hdd right?
And you mentioned what seems to be 3 seperate methods. The ide to sata adaptor looks like the cheapest but is it a good solution?
Not only that but I dont even think I'd have room for that one anyway. there's very little space between the end of the hdd & the side of the case. Does it make sense to install HDDs sideways ?

thx anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I agree, I dismissed that as a floppy connector when I looked at it, by pull the files off, I mean to transfer the files on the IDE HD to the SATA drive installed in your computer...you can then format/or not, the IDE drive and use it as a portable HD if you go with the enclosure or as an external drive/backup. I have no experience with that particular ide to sata adaptor, but if you have about 3 inches from the side of the case it should fit. If you want to install the drive internally then your only option is the promise card. It does not appear that you can install the drives "sideways" And, yes, if you put the drive in the enclosure, you won't have to do anything but install it in the enclosure and then plug it into a usb port and power to use the drive.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You will probably see this more often with the increasing technology as more manufacturers move away from IDE devices. Just like the good old day of ISA slots.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
That looks like a spot where on would be but it isn't present. Normally IDE slots are close to each other. Also note that each IDE slot is capable of supporting 2 devices. So if your IDE cable only has one device on it, you could connect another drive to it.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If you end up going with an IDE controller card I strongly recommend going with one that has a Promise™ brand chip. they work seamlessly with nearly every machine built and are FAST. I bought one to expand the capacity of an older PC and was more than pleased with the performance. Even though I don't use it now I refuse to sell it or even loan it out. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.