Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Due to a windows boot-issue (solved right now) I have the luxury to redesign the workings of my pc. Here's what I was planning to do: right now I have only one inetrnal harddisk (250 GB). This disk only has one partition. I'm going to hook up another internal harddisk of 1 TB. This disk is going to hold all my files and programs, the 250 GB disk will only contain windows. This way if windows freaks out again and needs a clean install to work again, it won't be a big issue like it was this time.
Now I figured that 250 GB just to run windows (xp professional 32 bit) was a bit of a waste of space... So I thought I might use a program like partition magic to split up that harddisk into two partitions. ( 100 GB and 150 GB for example ) One partition would still contain the 32 bit version of windows, which is a lot better for gaming and every day work, while on the other partition, I would install Windows xp 64 bit version. This way I can use up to 8 GB of RAM that would be usefull for some applications of mine (3D rendering and multisample music production).

My question is: Can this be done? And how? I recently had two versions of windows xp 32 bit installed on my computer ( but I think on one partition, though I'm not sure). When I booted my pc it asked me which version of windows it should start. Will it keep giving me that option if I install both a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version? Will I be able to acces all files from both operating systems? Any thoughts on this idea, let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril

·
Registered
499 Posts
It can be done, but you have to meet some requirements:

In order for this guide to work, we've got to make a couple of assumptions: number one, that you have a 64-bit capable processor (either AMD Athlon 64, Opteron or EMT-64 enabled Intel Pentium 4/D/EE) and a working 32-bit installation of Windows XP (though in practice, Windows 2000 or 98 will work just fine too), and number two, that you have a free partition on one of your physical hard drives which you can use to host the operating system files for the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1910
The guide on how to do a dual boot of 32 and 64 are on that site as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help and pointers to this great article. I'll let you know how it plays out. Small question. How do you know you need a RAID driver? I didn't select that option installing the 32 bit version that currently runs on my pc, but it runs fine (with a SATA disk) so I assume I don't need a RAID driver or am I wrong?

Thanks,

Gibrril

·
Registered
499 Posts
RAID is writing the same data on multiple disks by way of mirroring or stripping to get a high level of data reliability. Basically, it's the idea that if you spread your data over two disks, it's safer than putting it all on 1 disk. If that single disk fails, you lose everything. If one of the RAID drives die, you can replace it and the other drive can rebuild the data (parity) while the systems continues to function. If you don't plan on using RAID, like if you're planning on just making that new 1TB drive a slave, you won't need a RAID driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Purpose_and_basics

·
Premium Member
19,849 Posts
Hi there,

Due to a windows boot-issue (solved right now) I have the luxury to redesign the workings of my pc. Here's what I was planning to do: right now I have only one inetrnal harddisk (250 GB). This disk only has one partition. I'm going to hook up another internal harddisk of 1 TB. This disk is going to hold all my files and programs, the 250 GB disk will only contain windows. This way if windows freaks out again and needs a clean install to work again, it won't be a big issue like it was this time.
Now I figured that 250 GB just to run windows (xp professional 32 bit) was a bit of a waste of space... So I thought I might use a program like partition magic to split up that harddisk into two partitions. ( 100 GB and 150 GB for example ) One partition would still contain the 32 bit version of windows, which is a lot better for gaming and every day work, while on the other partition, I would install Windows xp 64 bit version. This way I can use up to 8 GB of RAM that would be usefull for some applications of mine (3D rendering and multisample music production).

My question is: Can this be done? And how? I recently had two versions of windows xp 32 bit installed on my computer ( but I think on one partition, though I'm not sure). When I booted my pc it asked me which version of windows it should start. Will it keep giving me that option if I install both a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version? Will I be able to acces all files from both operating systems? Any thoughts on this idea, let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril
you should have no problems. generally as long as you have legal copies of xp, not a restore from another computer, you should be given the option to partition and point the os to a specific drive during the install. During your first install, you should create the second partition so when you do the next install, you could point it to that new partition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okidoki,

A Slave disk? How do I turn that 1 TB disk into a slave disk? Or does that happen automatically sice it will be plugged in on my sata 3 plug on the motherboard?

TY,

Gibrril

·
Registered
499 Posts
The position of a little jumper on the hard drive determines whether it is a master or slave. Here's a picture:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So to turn it into a slave I have to push all the jumpers (1 through 8) in? Or is that wrong and would it destroy my disk? Kind of new to this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.