Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the master drive installed on the computer were I would like to add a slave drive. The master drive has Windows 98 installed and the slave has Windows XP. Is there any way to do this without formatting the slave and reinstalling everything?:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suggest a hard drive formating program to format only a partition of the harddrive but i would have to know more about your setup and how you did it post some more information and i may be of help

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hello :wave:

your goal is an easy feat. Best dual boot method is to leave Win 98 as your C drive

Then install Win XP on your slave drive'
'

Then use this free prog fro boot switching

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Boot_Switcher_d3754.html

FWIW: dont put both OS's on the same drive then if one of them takes a tumble some day and needs to be reformatted or file system becomes corrupt you wont involve the OS on the "other" drive

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response, I am taking the the second hard drive out of another computer. It is a 30 Gb drive I didn't think that you should put the same version of Windows on the same physical drive. Does it work to put the same version of Windows XP on the same physical drive? And if so would the other softrware that I have on that drive still work?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your goal is an easy feat. Best dual boot method is to leave Win 98 as your C drive

Then install Win XP on your slave drive'

Thanks for your response, I am taking the the second hard drive out of another computer. It is a 30 Gb drive I didn't think that you should put the same version of Windows on the same physical drive So thanks for supporting that. What I am trying to avoid is not to reinstall all the other software on this drive, Windows XP and lots of other software are already on it.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Your goal to put two versions of win xp on the same drive should work; although you would need to use the MS bootloader for dual booting. When you install the second application of XP onto the same drive it should ask you if you want to run a dual boot system >>>> answer yes

the dual boot system loader is needed as a hard drive can only have one active partition per MS booting protocol. An OS cant boot unless it resides on an active partition.

This situtation is conqured with the use of the boot loader; which boots to the OS on the active partition then just before start-up gives you the option to can which partition & OS is actually selected.

dont hesitate to ask more questions as needed :4-compute

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.