Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new internal HD, and I need help installing it.
I want to keep as many items as possible, but I'd also like to reinstall the OS, and take out the old HD.

I didn't really want to use CD-Rs either.

If I add the new HD, reinstall Windows XP, transfer files, and then remove the old drive, will that work?
Will it create a boot order screen? I have a friend who did something similar to that, but when he removed the old HD the boot order screen never went away; it still listed both XPs.

Is using Norton Ghost easy and will it do what I need?

Are there any other ways to do this?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi!
I think you have to be a little more specific. Are you running Win XP now? Do you want a multi boot system? Do you want a new XP installation or move the old one to your new HDD.

Nicholas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have XP home on it right now, and I want to put the same copy of XP home on the new one. Then I want to take the new one out.
I'd like a new XP installation, but I want to keep as much stuff as possible.
No, I don't want a multiboot system

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Take the old HDD out
Install the new HDD - make sure it's configured as master (with the jumpers)
Install XP on the new HDD
Move the jumpers on your old HDD so it's configured as "slave"
Mount the old HDD
Now you can copy files from the old HDD to the new one

N.B. Your programs, drivers etc will NOT be included in the new install

Good luck,
Nicholas

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Look for the files settings and transfer wizard in XP. This will allow you to choose what you want to copy when you are changing your disk. Create the backup file then swap your drives and do your clean install. Add the old drive aftrwards as a slave drive, open the file transfer wizard again and import the files from the file you created earlier. When you see that you have everything you wanted you can remove the old drive and just use your new one.

press F1 for help then look for

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you move your data files and personal settings from your old computer to your new one, without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your personal display properties, folder and taskbar options, and Internet browser and e-mail settings from your old computer and place them on the new one. The wizard will also move specific files or entire folders, such as My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites. Passwords are not moved with program settings when you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This is a feature of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that helps to keep your passwords confidential.

We recommend that you install a virus detection program on the new computer before transferring files over from the old computer. This can help protect your new computer from viruses that may be contained in the files transferred over from your old computer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, done_fishin, you're idea sounds a lot easier, but I've already copied everything over.
oh well, next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.