Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over the Internet and cannot find a solution...

I have a 120GB WD drive which has windows xp on it - I recently purchased a 250GB WD drive and when i plugged it in and was proceeding to load windows it would get to the load screen stop and restart over and over...

If i unplug the cable from the 250GB drive windows will load perfectly

What is going on???

Motherboard is a Biostar P4VMA-M-A16
I dont have any fancy cables for the drives just the normal data cables connecting to the two ports on the MB

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Issue number one you might want to look at is to make sure you have the 80 connector cables on both and not the 40 connector cables if you have a hard drive on both channels.

Issue number two you might want to check is the jumpers on each drive. Remember this, if a Western Digital drive is alone on a ribbon cable, you must place it on the end of the ribbon cable and REMOVE all jumpers.

Of course, if it shares the cable with a CD device, then you must set the jumpers to master on the hard drive and slave on the cd device. Please be advised that most drives come standard from the factory with the jumpers set to Cable Select. Therefore, if you have a CD on that cable, check to make sure how it is set. If the CD is set to CS, then the new drive must be set to CS. If the CD is set to slave, then you must change the WD drive to Master and not as it comes from the factory.

Hope this helps, but if it does not, let us know.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I don't think he's using PATA drives. From the title, it looks like he is using SATA drives. Check the BIOS and make sure both drives show.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
have you went in to the bios and enables the sata controler? it is in the Integrated Peripherals, via onchip IDE device.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Crazijoe,

Egg all over my face on that one, I just don't know where my head was , but sure did miss the title about SATA. I was on a PATA roll.

I am going to have to open my eyes on these morning threads. Thanks for pointing that out, it is much appreciated. I doubt if you would even believe that is the first mistake I ever made in my life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...

Yeah the SATA is enabled in the bios - as i already had a SATA drive installed (for about 4 months now)

We are pretty sure we have figured out the problem

We removed the case from the computer and found that the drive was not spinning on startup - this was the case with any data-power cables we had

thanks for your help - lets just hope this doesnt happen with the replacement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.