Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I really need your help!!

I was having problems with the onboard sound on my IBM NetVista, and the only solution I (and others) could think of was to install a separate sound card and disable the onboard sound, but I still have the SAME problems!

Here are the problems I'm having:

- There's no volume control icon in the system tray
- I get no sound when Windows starts up/shuts down
- I can't hear any system sounds, like beeps or other noises
- In Control Panel -> Multimedia, the Audio and MIDI tabs are greyed out
- Can't play .mp3's - realplayer says "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it"
- However, I CAN hear sound when playing a CD

In "Control Panel", "System", "Device Manager", under "Sound, video and game controllers", it says "the device is working properly" for all items. There are no yellow exclamation marks. In "Control Panel", and "Multimedia Properties", under the "Devices" tab, the drivers are enabled and working properly.

Originally I had these problems with the ADI SoundMAX onboard audio, with the driver from ibm.com installed and seemingly working properly. So after some suggestions, I installed a separate sound card (Hercules Fortissimo II), and disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, but I still have the EXACT SAME problems as I had when I was using onboard sound! I don't know what could be the problem?!

I would greatly appreciate any any ideas or suggestions of things I should try! Is it possible that something is loose inside the computer like on the motherboard? :4-dontkno - I don't know where I should look to check this. I'm at the end of my rope trying to solve this and am hoping some of you experts can help figure it out! Thanks in advance for any replies! :sayyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and Thanks Ericwaycotx for your reply!

Yes, I do have the latest driver installed - from the sound card manufacturer's website. When using onboard sound, I also had the latest driver from ibm.com's site, so it's not a driver issue.

I posted this on another forum also, and the replies I got have helped me determine that I most likely have an issue with Windows. For example, when I went to C:\Windows and clicked on the icon for "Sndrec32.exe" I got error msg:
"Sound Recorder cannot record or play back because a sound device is not installed. To install a sound device, click "Add New Hardware" in Control Panel."
And when I clicked on "Sndvol32.exe" nothing happened.

I was given instructions which included uninstalling sound card drivers, then removing Multimedia from Windows Setup, then removing the media resources keys from the Windows registry, then removing all sound items from Device Manager, reinstalling the sound drivers, and lastly reinstalling the multimedia components. I ran into problems during the reinstall of multimedia when it asked for the Windows 98SE startup disk for the files needed (ie. Sndvol32.exe). I didn't have the disks anymore, so a friend lent me her copy, but turns out it was Win98 first edition, not SE, so I couldn't use it.

Now I just need to get Windows 98SE for the multimedia files I need, and hopefully this will resolve my sound issues! (If not, and it's not a Windows issue, then I know that it's a hardware issue with my board).

If anyone else has similar problems to me and wants to try the above fix for Windows, here's a link from my other post with detailed instructions:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=407820&page=1&pp=15

(NOTE: See post #15 on the linked page)

Hope this helps somebody else!! :sayyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.