Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Vista on a WD SATA HD with a Foxconn M61PMX mobo that I bought last fall. Things have been running just fine until this past Saturday. I have precious little installed on the machine (Office, World of Warcraft, McAfee are pretty much it). Anyway, I was playing WoW and the program started crashing. Eventually it wouldn't start because of corrupted files. The repair program couldn't fix it because it was too far gone. After uninstalling, the install even fails now. At first I figured it must be viral as I noticed that McAfee had become disabled and would not restart, so I ran SpyBot - Search and Destroy but found nothing. Also, I haven't really done anything with the machine that would make me think it caught a virus. I don't even use it for email. Anyway, McAfee seems to have become corrupted as well so I uninstalled/reinstalled and ran into several problems trying to reinstall. I did eventually get it reinstalled and tried to run a full scan, but it continues to fail for unexplained reasons. At this point it seems like files are randomly corrupting and destroying the installed programs. I'm not sure what the problem is, and I don't know where to start. I think my next step is to wipe the drive clean and try to reinstall windows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. One problem is that I don't really have spare parts lying around that would help me test mobo controllers, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
I think you are on the right track with Viral, however Spybot is not an antivirus, it is designed as a malware/adware remover. I would zero wipe the drive with Killdisk or d-ban then reinit the disk partition and format then rebuild from the OS up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.