Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

Before this I ran my laptop with the OS on it's HDD. It's likely faulty because of chkdsk /r I had to do on it to clean install and the clicking noises it makes but crystal disk info has NEVER shown any issues on it.

I wiped my old HDD, installed windows on the SSD and checked crystal disk info. NVMe SSD is good to go, but suddenly my HDD has a caution status.

The HDD is unformatted but connected. I should likely throw away the HDD but I want to save it for storage. Does anyone think reformatting / unplugging it & plugging it back in / doing chkdsk /r can save it?

·
Global Moderator
42,318 Posts
No.
A clicking HDD is a sign the HDD is about to fail or already has failed. Crystal Disk Info may give a false positive in some cases. (ie) saying it is good when it's not.
For a second opinion, download DiskGenius in my signature, Select the disk, go to the toolbar to Disk/View or Repair Bad Sectors/Verify Now. It will take a long time to complete. If is shows any Bad Sectors during the test, the drive needs to be replaced.

·
Global Moderator
51,472 Posts
Throw it away! Also, if you're worried about the data on it, hit it with a hammer a few times. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts