Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My computer used to have an HDD running XP. Recently, I got a new HDD and installed Vista 64-bit Home Premium on it. Since it happened a little while ago, I'm not sure quite what happened during the installation. Right now, though the Windows folder and all the program files are on the new drive, I have to have the old drive first in the boot priority, else Vista won't start up. I may have had the old drive first in the boot queue when I installed Vista, but I don't remember.

If I go to the disk manager, the new HDD has (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) next to it. The old HDD has (System, Active, Primary Partition). So it seems that some basic system files got on the old drive, but everything else is on the new drive.

I would like to eventually format the old drive, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to run Vista anymore. Any ideas what happened and how to fix without everyone's favorite cure-all: reformat and reinstall? Is there someway to move whatever system files are on the old drive to the new drive without all sorts of pathing errors?

In case you need it, here are some basic specs:
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium, SP1
Old HDD: Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0, 500 GB
New HDD: WD VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS, 300 GB
MB: Asus M3A32-MVP

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
when you install a second os on a second drive, the boot.ini file will seek both drives to display the os boot option, if you disconnect one drive, the boot.ini file will error out.

I usually partition a drive to hold several os's and use a second drive for storage.

oh, and in the boot.ini file you can change how long the os selection option stays open before default boot times out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it is located in the C:/ directory, on vista it has a .bak extension. look for boot.bak

here is mine

[boot loader]
timeout=40
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I figured this would be better than paying MS $59 for their tech support. Let me answer some of the questions:

I don't believe anything is wrong with the jumper settings. Everything works fine, and I set the new drive as the primary SATA device on the MB.

Yes, I get the option to boot XP or Vista on startup. The old drive is set to boot up first. If I set the new drive first, then I can't boot up because it cannot find an OS.

The boot.bak file is located on the old drive. Here is what it says:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER

I also have a file called "BOOTSECT.bak" that was created at the same time as the boot.bak file. Can I edit this file and move it to the new drive without any path problems?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The easiest way to fix this is when you get ready to reformat the old drive, remove it and then using the Vista DVD, do a startup repair on the new drive. This will write the BCD files on the new disk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lead3: If I disable the old drive in the bios (the one with boot.bak) and boot off the Vista CD, it doesn't find any operating system to repair. If I enable the old drive and boot off the Vista CD, it says that Vista is on the new drive and doesn't let me repair anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other suggestions, or do I need to reformat and reinstall since I cannot use the Vista CD to repair? Thanks.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
I would reinstall . . you will be back up and runing in a couple of hours and have it the way you want it.

Be sure to back up you data and disconnect the other drive if you reinstall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.