Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm doing a clean install of windows pro sp2 and During the GUI installation, While it say Installing devices and "Setup will complete in approximately: 34 Minutes" The screen goes black and it shows an ascii smiley face.
it then shows me a BSOD that says
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I have tried all of my ram, and that's not the problem.

Please help me. I want to install windows, but i can't!

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi heroman87

The smiley face and blank screen rather sound like Power Management and screen saver features. Is this a laptop computer? If so, wipe the drive & try the installation again: make sure to enter the Bios beforehand, and check on the Power Management functions - make sure that when plugged in by the AC adapter, no power management features are needed. Make sure to have the AC adapter plugged in during the installation also.

If you see that error again, write down the full error message and post it here.

If you are reinstalling because of malware infections, you might want to boot the computer with a bootable CD that has some antivirus tools on it, and make sure the computer's Bios - and any additional drives in the system - are free of infection. Bootable CDs such as the "Ultimate Boot CD" ( Linux-based --- http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ) and "Ultimate Boot CD For Windows" aka UBCD4Win (Bart's PE-based --- http://www.ubcd4win.com ) or perhaps a "Knoppix" disk (which is a Linux "Live CD" - runs entirely from the CD) work for this sort of thing.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a laptop computer, but ye, I will try the Ultimate boot cd, I assume there is bios scanners and whatnot in it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried lots of things, the UBCD4win forums suggested a bunch of things, and nothing.
I tried:
-looking for leaky capacitors.
-checking the fans.
-removing the mobo battery.
-different hard drive.
-RAM - Memtest, Tested all of the sticks, and cleaned them.
-virus checks.

I am stumped.

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

How old are the system components? Can you provide a little list? (Motherboard, cpu, ram, video, hard drive, power supply)

Is the computer a major brand-name model? Were any of the system parts from another computer of this sort?

What sort of Windows XP CD do you have? Full Retail/ Upgrade version / Home / Pro / Media Center / Recovery-Restore CD / -- And you've checked the disk for scratches? [You can also try burning a backup copy of the disk, and see if a freshly written CD works better]

Did you have any USB devices (other than keyboard & mouse) plugged in during the installation? If so, unplug those & try again. In fact, stay unplugged from any printers, scanners, multifunction devices, cameras, webcams, USB speakers, wired or wireless networks (unplug cables/disable wireless), unplug PDAs, memory card readers, etc. ... until the installation has finished. The rest can wait till later.

If you boot the computer from a Knoppix Cd, does all the hardware perform properly?

...... the quickest quick-fix would be to hope it's just a scratched CD!
Keep at it
. . . Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it have to be Knoppix? Because I don't think Ubuntu worked, and if the difference between Ubun and Knop doesn't matter, I'm gonna try it again.

I have tried 3 copies of XP, mine (pro, legit), a burned copy of mine, and a friends.

aaand, I bought this computer in 98/99, so I assume the parts are from around that time.

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Knoppix is a fairly simplified Live CD Linux - so it should give you a good idea if your hardware in general is OK or not, at a basic level. I don't use Ubuntu much, so I'm not as familiar with that distribution, and not-at-all as a Live CD. [My desktop Linux distros have mostly been RedHat, the old Caldera, and Mandriva - which is on the system I'm using now - I keep Knoppix CDs about for my repair business - I give one to each customer as one of their emergency tools].

If Knoppix won't run, it's time to run more diagnostics, and the Windows XP hardware compatibility applet (the "Upgrade Advisor"). It might be interesting to see what happens if you boot the computer to your XP Pro Cd, select "start computer with CD-ROM support", and then from the command prompt, type:
cd \i386 and press Enter, then
winnt32/checkupgradeonly

The results should be saved in an Upgrade.txt file.

Are other operating systems currently installed on the machine you want to install Windows XP on? Are you using Grub or LiLo as your boot manager? And - is this a major-brand computer?

Have you changed the CMOS battery since 1998? Is the Bios still keeping the correct time/date? And timing settings are staying correct? How recent a Bios were you able to obtain for the motherboard? How big is the current drive, and did you have to employ a "drive overlay" or "drive translation" software (such as "EZ-Bios" or "Drive Manager" by OnTrack, MaxBlast, etc.) to overcome size limitations due to the older motherboard?

Can I assume the computer isn't overclocked?

Have you had lots of extraneous peripherals attached during the installs (as mentioned in my last reply)?

Yes, you have an interesting case - but perhaps not unsolvable.
. . . Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any peripherals except for keyboard and monitor. I even unattached all of my other cards (Ethernet, Modem, Sound) and tried it then, but nothing.
It's 2:30am here right now, So I'm gonna download knoppix, and give it a try when it's downloaded.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm not sure what to say... I am posting this from inside knoppix. Meaning, I am confused even further.

·
3,258 Posts
heroman87 - Looks like dai found an exact-match cure for you!

dai - Wonderful link. I haven't seen this before [I've bookmarked it] - have you ever seen this one in person? (I hadn't seen or heard of it at all until I followed your link).

I can't count the number of SP1 installs I ran, and I never came across this one - wild.
Never a dull moment -
. . . Gary

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i found it a long while ago when searching for someone else and bookmarked it in the wrong place took some finding with over 2000 b/marks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do I get to the prompt at during startup again? I need access to the hard drive before the cd kicks in.

·
Banned
308 Posts
You want to get into the Recovery Console to access the command prompt? Type 'R' when prompted to and it'll bring you there.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
haha, I knew that, thanks for reminding me. It has been so long since I have had to do more than just a straight install.

I keep putting it off because it seems like it's so much work. It may take me a bit to get this done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nope, didn't have a usb device plugged in.

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Is your keyboard a PS/2? If the keyboard or mouse are USB, it would need the hotfix to get past the 34% error, according to the MSKB article.

Note: you don't install the hotfix, you "slip-stream" it = you create a new Windows XP installation CD with the hotfix patched in.

Tell you what, if you are going to be slip-streaming, you might as well create a slip-streamed Windows XP disk with SP2 already on it (I would expect the USB bugfix to be included, as there is no 34% error for installations of SP2). This would save you the time of having to add SP2 later. [You also won't have to fuss with hotfixes].

You can download the full version of SP2 (the sort you need for slipstreaming) from this link --- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Full Slip-Streaming Details, complete with screenshots, are available from Paul Thurrott's site --- http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

If someone you know has a full-retail version of XP Pro w/SP2, you could try using that, only of course you'd enter the license key from your CD when prompted [you could install from that right away - no slipstreaming necessary]. This will only work when both installation CDs are retail, not OEM. If you've an OEM disk - you'll have to slipstream.

Good luck with your project
. . . Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am using XP Pro SP2.

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

How interesting - all the mentions of the problem concern SP1. [And it's been so long since your first post, I'd forgotten you had the SP2 disk already]

Tell you what, try this:

1) Borrow a PS/2 keyboard & mouse ( or use your current PS/2 devices and go to the next step )
2) Enter Bios Setup and disable USB Legacy devices. And any built-in USB controllers on the motherboard. Heck, disable any IR devices in there as well.
3) Try XP Setup again - if it starts from the beginning, good: delete the current partitions and recreate new. Let XP format as usual, and see if everything finishes OK this time.
4) If XP Setup tries to restart from the spot it last failed, you'd probably be better off just exiting, then deleting your current partitions, and trying again.

If Setup still doesn't finish despite all of this - try the checkupgradeonly routine that I mentioned earlier. See if it mentions a device in your system as a compatibility problem.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.