Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am planning to install RED HAT 8 on my machine this weekend.
I have 2 drives one is a 120gb serial ATA with XP and the other is a 4gb IDE with nothing on it. I want to put LINUX on my 4gb drive and allow dual booting between XP and LINUX, does this sound feasable?
My system has 512mb of memory & I've heared that I'll need to use 1 gb for LINUX's swap file. How much space would a RED HAT 8 install take up?

I'd be very grateful if someone could offer some advice on this and provide me with some steps to follow in installing this.

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
711 Posts
You won't need to use a gig for swap space. You *could* do that but its overkill nowadays.

I don't see anything that should cause a problem, during the install process you'll be asked which disk you want to use to install Red Hat on and just make sure you choose the 4gb disk ;) Otherwise you should be good to go. If you run into questions let us know so we can help ya!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't recommend installing RH8 on 4 GB disk.. later u will find ur self helpless..

I suggest to have atleast 10 Gb partition. so that u can use ur linux at full..
As u have 512 mb RAM then u should have 1 GB swap.. but u can keep less but not recommended..

Any other prob ??

·
Registered
711 Posts
Personally 4gb should be enough I think, you don't need to install the kitchen sink, if your intention is to learn linux. As far as swap goes, the view of 2x times the amount of physical ram is an outdated suggestion, Linus himself has said that. I guess it all really depends on what you're going to use your box for though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am interested in learning Linux, but I decided to go a different way and ordered a copy of WinLinux Free from SourceForge.net ($2.50). This full distro of Linux installs like any other Windows app and doesn't require a separate partition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.