Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear members of the TechSupport Forums,

I have been trying to install Windows 7, one of the earliest versions on dvd, for quite some time now, but it does not work.

It installs perfectly, showing me the background and it immediately starts downloading updates. So far, I have no problems, and I can do anything with it what I want.

The problem is when it shuts down. No matter what I do (stopped the updates, didn't install anything), after rebooting, it will not work. It will either try to run a disk check (CHKDSK?), which will fail at 10% for reasons I cannot see, or it will try to run start-up repair, which will also fail indefinitely.

It has worked perfectly with Windows XP and Windows 7 before, so I honestly do not know what is wrong with it. Any help would be appreciated.

And do excuse me if this problem was discussed before. I've read up through the forums but I found nothing similar to my predicament.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,712 Posts
Agreed if the hard drive is weak, installing Windows can easily fail and the clue is checkdisk failure to complete. Time to replace the drive in my estimation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thank you for the responses (and the welcome message).

I will try the suggested program, and if that proves it to be broken, I will purchase a new hard drive.

Since I'm here anyway, may I ask for suggestions as to what HD I should get? I'm not much of a gamer, and I have an external HD for most of my large files. Price doesn't matter, speed would be preferred.

Thanks in advance.

·
14,712 Posts
Personally I think that WD are by far the best hard drives, but I don't like WD externals because they have no fans inside and no on/off switches. I like Iomega brand because they usually do, make sure though as both those things extends the life of external hard drives.

·
14,712 Posts
I would agree with that except to say 1 Gb ok, just above that seem unreliable most of the time!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
If you are not a gamer and do not download a lot. Any HDD seagate or WD about 160GB SATA if your motherboard supports SATA, will do you well.

·
14,712 Posts
If you are not a gamer and do not download a lot. Any HDD seagate or WD about 160GB SATA if your motherboard supports SATA, will do you well.
Careful here we are talking about external drives and as I said the lack of fans and on/off switches in WD and Seagate will not make the drives last as long IMHO!

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
Careful here we are talking about external drives and as I said the lack of fans and on/off switches in WD and Seagate will not make the drives last as long IMHO!
I think the op said he has a external,He would run the diagnostic tool ,If it found errors he would buy a new hdd,

·
14,712 Posts
Ah we need clarity here as we don't know if you mean buy a new sata drive for encloisure or buy a new external drive all together, though in reality you have answers for both..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was indeed referring to an internal hard drive, but I'll keep the suggestions in mind should I ever need to buy a new external hard drive.

Thank you all for the help given, you are now free to hijack the thread.

·
14,712 Posts
I was indeed referring to an internal hard drive, but I'll keep the suggestions in mind should I ever need to buy a new external hard drive.

Thank you all for the help given, you are now free to hijack the thread.
Great then buy a WD hard drive is the consensus here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.