Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I'm having a problem installing windows XP on one of my computers and it's starting to get annoying. I tried to install windows XP from the CD and i got this error when it asks me too chose the partition or something: 4 unknown disk (there is no disk in this drive) messages. If i press the up arrow i get a blue screen, if i press enter i get blue screen! :upset:

Weirdest thing is, i installed ubuntu on it and it worked. :eek: It was running windows before, just so you know! ;)

The HD i'm installing it to is the samsung sp1614c. I don't have any drivers for it, in case you're wondering, nor my computer has floppy drive :|

Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks for you help guys! :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Does this happen when you try and select a partition to install to? I am assuming yes.

The drive you have appears to be a SATA drive. As setup loads you should see at the bottom a prompt to press a key if you need to load 3rd party SATA or RAID drivers. You will need to follow that prompt to load the drivers for your SATA hard drive. That should work.

BMR777

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are right BMR.

How do i load the drivers for the disk with no floppy drive? I'll try that option later when i get the chance and i'll let you know the outcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
use a usb stick
Forgive me my ignorance, but how do i do that? It says i need a floppy, do i just copy everything from a diskette to a USB stick?

Is it possible to use a USB stick with the content of a boot diskette?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
did the xp cd come with that specific computer or did it come with another?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
I don't know nlite but i downloaded it already. How can i do what you said?

sobeit: XP came with another computer ;)
that that could very well be the problem. First of all you cannot use oem for one system on another and second, since it came with another system, its looking for that specific system before it installs anything. Thats why its saying unknown disk. It will not work for your current computer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that that could very well be the problem. First of all you cannot use oem for one system on another and second, since it came with another system, its looking for that specific system before it installs anything. Thats why its saying unknown disk. It will not work for your current computer.
Not really, i found the "unknown disk" source (PC has a drive for memory cards, it's disconnected now). Now that it's gone it doesn't even detect my HD. This is an old version of XP, so that might be why i isn't working. I'll try to borrow a more recent version of XP from a friend and see if it helps :|

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really, i found the "unknown disk" source (PC has a drive for memory cards, it's disconnected now). Now that it's gone it doesn't even detect my HD. This is an old version of XP, so that might be why i isn't working. I'll try to borrow a more recent version of XP from a friend and see if it helps :|
A new version of windows didn't help :|

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
check the cables are secure into the drive and into the m/board
is the port it is connected to a raid capable port
I would say so, it as it was all working before :) And since i installed ubuntu on it, there would be no reason to not be.

Now that i've ruled out most hypothesis the only thing i need to figure out is how to use nlite+HD drivers, because that is probably the problem here :| Plus, i can't find the drivers for this HD anywhere :S

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.