Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 that has a 120 GB HDD that is nearly full and that lately has been making strange noises. I am running XP-Pro. My system is running slowly and it has lots of junk on it.

I have a new 500GB SATA HDD and I have installed a new SATA controller. I plan to install the new HDD. I would like to install a fresh copy of XP-Pro on the new drive and then reinstall those programs that I use. I would then like to copy the data for the programs from my old drive to the new one.

What is the best way for me to install XP-Pro on my new drive? I have the disks that Dell shipped with the computer but that was nearly 6 years ago. Would I have to load all of the updates that have been released subsequent to my original computer purchase?

Can I do the install on the new HDD and still boot to my old drive until I am fully set up on the new drive?

Thanks,

Ed S

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
When you have a Sata and an Ide on the same machine, you go into the Bios at Bootup and select ,"Boot priority", . You can select whichever disc you wish to boot. The end result can/is two drives with an O/S on each.
My question is will your Bios have the Boot priority option,. You might want to update your Bios .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you have a Sata and an Ide on the same machine, you go into the Bios at Bootup and select ,"Boot priority", . You can select whichever disc you wish to boot. The end result can/is two drives with an O/S on each.
My question is will your Bios have the Boot priority option,. You might want to update your Bios .

I do have boot priority capability in my BIOS.

Can I install the OS on the SATA drive while I am running on the original drive? Do I then have to install numerous updates or is there an easier way?

·
Registered
144 Posts
When you say you have " I have a new 500GB SATA HDD and I have installed a new SATA controller." What is the manufacturer of the controller and also the model number too. Also does this device show up while you are booting? Or is it appearing to function? Does it show up in the BIOS ?
Then you say " I would like to install a fresh copy of XP-Pro on the new drive and then reinstall those programs that I use. " further along you say this " I have the disks that Dell shipped with the computer but that was nearly 6 years ago. Would I have to load all of the updates that have been released subsequent to my original computer purchase? " So which way do you want to go ? My preference would be to obtain a fresh copy of windows XP professional with SP2 or SP3 if they are still available for sale. You do know that Microsoft has stopped selling copies of XP home and PRO to the public, AFAIK. :eek: You can search the web as there may be some selling it still.
With a fresh copy of windows you do not get all the extra programs that Dell has injected into the package for you to deal with and load every time windows loads. I have tried to uninstall some important programs from my compaq and that did not go well. Also there is Gamechannel that was preinstalled and that accessed the internet without my consent and DL a new version of itself. Try to get a fresh copy of windows and install it on the SATA hard drive with no other drives attached. But First DO A FULL BACKUP OF ALL IMPORTANT DATA TO CD/DVD or external drive or USB drive( quickest option). Then simply restore all of you files to where ever they go (PS this may be the hard part as you have to know which folders to put the data). Maybe you could read the documentation that came with your programs (each program) to see how they are backed up and restored.

PS Make sure you have install files COPIED TO FLOPPY and press F6 when asked about installing hardware that may not be known to windows. This occurs when you see the first Blue screen during installation. Then insert your floppy and choose the correct version of windows. Also read the install documentation that came with the drive as far as what BIOS setting you need. Or go online to the web site for the Proper BIOS settings info.

Good Luck and anyone let me know if I am wrong with my advice.:pray:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.