Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 w/XP.

Purchased from Dell a 160Gig Hard Drive to transfer data from my 40 Gig Hard Drive to the new one. Do I need to do any test/or scans of the 40 gig prior to transferring data to the 160 for optimum performance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
If the HD you are replacing is functional you shouldn't need to do anything to copy your data over. If the OS is included, and ou want to be able to boot the OS from teh new disk, a simple copy won't work, you will need to clone the old disk with some clone tool - drive image xml or xxclone are free tools.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
That is pretty much it, after cloning tho you will need to expand the partition to use the whole drive - cloning makes a mirror image of the original disk, so if you clone a 40 GB drive to a 160, you end up with a 40 GB partition on the drive and the rest in another partition. easus partition manager or partition magic will allow you to add the unused space to new cloned partition...

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Tell us more about what you are doing . . . is this new drive replaceing the old one? . . is it in addition to the old one? . . Which drive do you intend to have the operating system on? Do you just want to copy the data to the new drive?

What Brand/Model is the pc?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is pretty much it, after cloning tho you will need to expand the partition to use the whole drive - cloning makes a mirror image of the original disk, so if you clone a 40 GB drive to a 160, you end up with a 40 GB partition on the drive and the rest in another partition. easus partition manager or partition magic will allow you to add the unused space to new cloned partition...
Thanks for your info, sorry as I was editing my message prior to your reply to this answer...

So that I have this straight, format the disk in Disk Management before instructions listed above?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
simpswr & raptor... Sorry.. lets start over.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.3 Windows XP Home Edition with 40G Hard Drive.

Couple times when I had turned on the pc a warning message came up on the screen as noted;

Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that Drive 0 in the primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifictions. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation

So I have ordered a New Internal 160G Hard Drive from Dell that will replace the 40G.

Want to transfer all the data from the old to the New as the permanent replacement.
Please step by step suggestions are appreciated to make this a success.

Thanks!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The esasiest ( and best in my opinion ) way is to reinstall XP once the new drive is in. You would also have to reinstall all your applications, then copy the data back to the drive.

If you want to do that . . You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
http://support.dell.com/support/top...install/en/index?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm
Rich,

fyi, Original Windows with the Dell came with "ME".
Then I purchased the XP Home Edition "Upgrade" Disk. Please let me know if this changes anything on your suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rich,

fyi, Original Windows with the Dell came with "ME".
Then I purchased the XP Home Edition "Upgrade" Disk. Please let me know if this changes anything on your suggestions.
Thanks!
Only thing it changes is early in the installation oF XP, you will be asked to put the ME ( pardon the language ) cd in to qualify for the upgrade . . otherwise, it's the same

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winxp/upgradexp/page1.htm
. . p.s. If you have been using a system that was upgraded from ME ( pardon the language ) you are going to love the new clean install . .
simpswr, ran into a little problem. Tried downloading a copy of windows xp disc from scratch on the new hd. When it asked for product key... shot that idea out the door. Do I just go with the disk with Me that came with the Dell and start over that way, then when done install the "upgrade" XP home edition to complete the install?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.