Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have this old craptop, Dell 3800, that I previously installed Linux on, before realizing that this, like my other Linux laptop, has a winmodem. I need to be able to chat and watch TV in the other room at the same time, so I've got to put windows back on my 3800.
Anyway, I've got a Win98 CD, and a Win98 ghost image on a disk, but I haven't got a floppy drive. Grr.

I cleaned my harddrive, removing everything, except what was on the master boot record, and now when I boot up I get
GRUB loaing, please wait...
Error 22
Which is fine, not a problem.
But when I tried to boot with a Puppy LiveCD, (which I've done many times on this computer before) I got the error:
Secondary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found
Now it shows me that every time I boot up, and I can't boot from a CD anymore.
I know it has something to do with the BIOS, but I haven't made any changes to that recently... Help please?

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Hi phaenilda,

Soo you want to reinstall Win 2k on your 3800? You said you cleaned your HD meaning you erased everything on it? Why not just drop your Win cd into the cd drive, adjust your BIOS to boot from cd, and go ahead an install windows.
It will format your harddrive with the proper file system.

Go in BIOS and look at the startup options. Make sure it is set to boot from cd. When you boot from the cd, choose the option to 'start computer with cd rom support'. Then run FDISK and erase the partition... or run setup and start with the windows install.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I Believe he said win98 with out the boot up floppy. :sayyes:
After having Linux on the only way to clean it compleetly off the drive is to fdisk the drive, repartition and format.
RZA is correct with win2k you can just drop the cd in and go from there.
you might look through HERE and see if there is something, you can do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, going for 98 without the floppy. But you guys missed the biggest problem. I can't boot from a CD. The BIOS is set to boot from CD first, Then Modular HDD (whatever), and then primary HDD. Whenever I try to boot, it tells me:
Secondary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IDE settings are .... not easily found.

No, drives aren't identified. Old BIOS

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Unplug all the unnessecary drives. Leave just your hd and cd drive.
Then clear your cmos and try again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are the only drives I have. What's a cmos?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Page 1 primary hard drive: 10056 MB

The only thing I can change on page 1 is the date and Disk Reconfig

I have a different BIOS from that site that has 6 pages.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
have you disconnected power, physically removed the cd drive and then reseated it, powered up with a bootable cd? (puppy will do).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Somehow, removing and replacing the CD drive got rid of the error, and now I can boot from a CD.

So now I need to find out how to install win98 without a floppy. I know how to make a bootable CD with DOS, but I need one that I can remove, and still have access to the command prompt, as I only have one CD drive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which I may just have done. Standby for success or failure report.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grr. I got it to see the WIN98 directory, and from it, I ran setup.
It gave me this:
Please Wait while Setup initializes.
Scanning system registry
W in

I don't think it knows that I don't have a system registry.
Maybe I'll try fdisking everything then setting it up as a windows partition. It might still be in linux format.

·
1,438 Posts
You need to repartion and do an fdisk /mbr to remove grub.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247804

has instructions on how to properly remove linux and reinstall windows.

To install Windows on a system that has Linux installed when you want to remove Linux, you must manually delete the partitions used by the Linux operating system.
The Linux operating system is generally installed on partition type 83 (Linux native) or 82 (Linux swap). The Linux boot manager (LILO) can be configured to start from:
• The hard disk Master Boot Record (MBR).
• The root folder of the Linux partition.
The Fdisk tool included with Linux can be used to delete the partitions. (There are other utilities that work just as well, such as Fdisk from MS-DOS 5.0 and later, or you can delete the partitions during the installation process.) To remove Linux from your computer and install Windows:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I erased the MBR, now I get Missing operating system, which is fine, that makes sense.
I pop in my bootable CD, boot it up with CDRom drivers, pop in the Win98 cd, run setup, and I will get varying degrees of:
Windows Setup Requires 7XXXXXX bytes to install Windows.
I have this much space fine, but aparently it doesn't see C:
When I run fdisk, that can see C: as the primary partition, but when I try dir C: it can't read it.
.. *sigh*

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright. I caved and installed XP. This is only temporary mind. WinXP formatted the drive as C correctly, so once this is installed, I should be able to install 98.
Thanks for all the help guys, I'd be lost without TSF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.