Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new PC, but I am hitting some snags. I am using tha hard drive from my old computer that was a Dell, so the OS was insalled on a Dell board. I went and got a new copy of Windows XP. When I go to install it tells me there is no hard drive.

Any ideas?

System Specs:
Intel D955XBK Motherboard
Pentium 4 3.2 GHz Processor
120 GB Seagate Hard Drive (From old computer)
PNY Nvidia 7950 GT Video CArd
Aegia PhyX Card
Sony DVD-Rom
Sony CD-RW
2GB Kingston RAM

·
UK
1,142 Posts
I would go to the Seagate site and download their diagnostic utility onto a floppy, then use it to ensure that the drive is installed ok, after which I would zero the complete drive and start again. Check the jumpers and make sure the cable is the right one at the same time.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I am going to have to assume that the HDD is a SATA drive. Since the D955XBK board only has a single IDE connection and you already have that filled with the 2 optical drives.
Check the BIOS and make sure that the HDD shows. Also make sure it is configured to run as an IDE device.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Also noted that this board comes with 2 SATA controllers. A Silicone Image SIL3114 SATA controller and the Intel ICH7-R controler built into the southbridge chipset. If you connect the drive to the blue SATA connectors, you will need to load the Silicon Image SATA drivers at the F6 prompt during the OS install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.