Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instability with new system

755 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone. I was hoping someone here could help me out with some problems I am having with a new system I built for my uncle. First of all here are the specs:

EVGA nForce 730i LGA 775
Intel C2Q Q8200
4GB RAM
ANTEC Earthwatts EA380 (380W PSU)
Windows XP SP2 (yes I know a little outdated but it's what he likes)
Nothing is being overclocked

He seems to be having some stability issues with the system where the mouse arrow would lock up randomly and he'd have to power off the system from the power button on the tower. When he restarts the computer he gets the POST screen like normal but it says "Press F1 to continue" because of some boot order thing. I've restored the defaults countless times and it works for a while but always keeps coming back to that. That's not really the problem though, it's the instability in Windows.

Now the PSU has a 4-pin CPU connector and the motherboard has an 8-pin CPU female end. I called EVGA and they said the 4-pin connector SHOULD be compatible with the 8-pin connector on the motherboard. The system seems to work for a while until he starts playing games on it. Nothing too intense (Plants VS. Zombies is an example). Could the PSU be causing the instability in Windows? If so does anybody have a good/cheap recommendation for a PSU with an 8-pin connector (or maybe some other solution?). A 380W PSU or above should do it, he doesn't need tons of power.

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in so I do apologize if it is in the wrong one. I really appreciate any help with this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.