Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slightly older Inspiron 2500 laptop that i use for surfing. I have WinXP on it and I am having intermittent booting problems. I turn on the machine and I get the dell screen and then it goes on to the windows screen and then i will get the music and my desktop appears and it boots up - everything ok it seems. Well the next day I boot up, get the dell screen, then the windows screen that is says it is booting up. Then my screen turns black but I hear the music that alerts me that it is booted up. And this happens 3 or 4 times out of 10 of booting up. My screen is on because i the backlight is shining but it is just a black screen - so I restart and sometimes it will do the same thing and other times it will just boot up fine. What could be the cause of this? What should I diagnose?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When it acts up try moving the henged top back and forth. This can tell you if it's cable or cable conector.

See if you can get it to do the same thing conected to an external monitor. This will tell you if it's LCD or Motherboard display hardware.

When it acts up, will it enter setup and if it does will the screen continue it's crazy habit. If it doesn't this tells you it might be the driver for the LCD.

Just thoughts

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it connected to an external monitor and it does the same thing - It seems to boot up but I cant see anything after it boots up...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I get this when it does start up...

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem

c:\program \open 1\opensite.exe
the NTVDM CPU encountered an illegal instruction
cs:0db6 IP:055e OP:65 63 74 6c 79 Choose 'Close" to terminate the application

Close ignore

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you can, Boot up in Safe Mode and remove the video driver.

Reboot the computer.

Its sounding like you have the video out of range.

Once the computer finds the hardware, go to the display settings and change the resolution to say 800x600.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did all that as well - And when I reboot for the last time after I changed to 800X600 it still comes up with the black screen above - Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
96 Posts
look at the f keys, do you see one that says crt/lcd?

If yes, hit the fn key and that key at the same time. only once at a time.
it may be f8.
This switches the video between the lcd and a monitor. It is possible that the setting have changed.
You have 3 choices
lcd only
crt only
crt/lcd combined.

So only hit the key once, wait then hit them again, wait then again. allow time for the monitors to change.

If that does not work. I would suggest taking it to someone who is experienced with laptops. If under warranty, call Dell Tech support

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Inspiron 8600 has had a similar problem for at least six months. It boots just fine, then right after the Desktop has fully loaded, the LCD turns completely black. When I connected a remote monitor (CRT) to the port on the back of the laptop, I found that the Desktop displayed normally, and the computer was fully usable. Further experimentation showed that if I would press the Fn key, and then the F8 key (CRT/LCD), the laptop screen would be restored while the remote monitor would go black. However, in about 10-15 seconds, once again the LCD would turn black and the CRT would show the Desktop.

I've run antivirus scans with my AVG program, as well as four other online scanners, and all have found nothing more than three "tracking cookies." I've uninstalled/reinstalled my video card (nVidia GeForce4 4200 Go), as well as updated its drivers, all to no effect.

I've been using the laptop while it's connected to the remote monitor, but it's pretty hard on the back to carry the 21" Viewsonic CRT along with me when traveling. :laugh:

If anyone here has found a solution that actually works, there are more than a few of us who would appreciate hearing from you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.