Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a refurb from dell about 9 or 10 months ago and the system just kept shutting off. Sent the thing in to dell and they fixed the heat sink. Well the system ran fine for about 3 weeks and now its doing it again. I'm almost dead sure its the cooling fan because when I pulled it out it was all glummed up and I noticed the computer overheating during that 3 week period.

My question is....is there any way to clean the existing cooling fan so it will work again or is it shot?

And if so is it easy to replace? I know they can run around 35 bucks but I've seen them much cheaper.

Could I replace it myself? (I'm not a computer guru, but I know how a system goes together)

Thanks for any help....i'm a newbie

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might contact dell again, as it is the same issue that was worked on before and would have a track record of it.

To clean the fan, simply blow it out with air.

I do not understand glummed up.

If it is dirty, compressed air will take care of it. If it has something sticky on it then you may have other problems inside and a technician should look at it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
174 Posts
The fan is very easy to replace. You can order a new one from Dell or remove the screwa holding the fan cover and just popout the fan and clean it with alcohol and a Qtip. On the www.notebooksforum they have a heat sink mod for the I8600.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.