Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Sorry to start a new thread but I was not sure that this post would be seen so here goes...

First off…. What a great site!! I am really impressed with the topics covered and the easy at which one can locate info. Good work guys.

Well reading the results from A7V8X search I did, I now would like to ask for some guidance.
So I have the above motherboard. I have purchased a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive. I have XP Pro ‘pre’ SP1 on disk. The drive will be my one and only in my system

1. What is the name of the SATA controller that I need to put on the floppy disk? Is it the ‘Promise’ controller?

From the Hitachi site: ‘137GB hard drive capacity limitation’. The work around for this problem seems a bit confusing. So my question is….

2. Do I need to install XP without partitioning the drive, update to SP1 and then through Disk Management do my partitions? Could I not install the controller and then use fdisk off a boot floppy to partition and then install & update to XP (SP1)?
3. What are the Bios settings I have to enable and disable? I have Onboard Serial Port 1 & 2 enabled. Does the rest automatically set itself after being auto detected? I have had a look in the Basic Input Output System at the Advanced Menu--> PCI Config--> Onboard ATA Boot Rom--> Does this need to be Enabled or Disabled
Also in the Advanced Menu--> PCI Config--> Onboard ATA Device First--> yes or no to this?
Boot Menu what should the boot sequence be? Other devices with SCSI/ Onboard ATA Boot Device first?
I know it is allot. Any Help...thank you
f

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there ferenc8

I have the same MOBO and I am having problems with the installation of 2 sata drives, they are all connected, but the config options for the Onboard ATA Device do not appear in the BIOS. There was mention of a jumper in the manual to enable the setitng, but then there was no indication as to where this was, or even if I actually have it. Did you do anything to get these options to appear in the BIOS?

the manual says (paraphrased) the following:
Onboard ATA Boot Rom -> enabled
Onboard ATA Device First -> yes

You can get the manual here:
http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x/e1859_a7n8x.pdf

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.