Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a table in MSWord, how do I insert multiple rows. When I go to Table>Insert, it gives me the option of "Rows Above" or "Rows Below". Notice its plural. But I can't figure out how to tell it to insert more than a single row.

Edit: If I highlight multiple rows then go through the process of Table>Insert>Rows below it will inseert that number of new rows. But that's rather cumbersum if there aren't multiple rows nearby.

Thanks...

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Same as in Excel. Say you have a table with 7 rows, and you want to insert 4 rows after row 1. Click and drag from cell 2 to 5 (selecting 4 cells) and click Table -> Insert -> Rows Above.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Ree,

That's what I do. It's really a pain if the 7 row table has to turn into a 50 row table - believe me there are instances like that. Now I have to highlight 5 rows. Then highlight 10 rows. Then highlight the 20 rows. But wait how many is that??? It would be nice just to say Insert X rows instead of having to count rows and then recount to make sure I inserted the correct number.

I guess MS does everything right the first time... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you insert a single row (above, or below) if you hit: Ctrl + y it will redo the last operation that you did. This works for anything in Word. So you could insert one row, then hit Ctrl+y as many times as you want.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
yustr said:
It would be nice just to say Insert X rows instead of having to count rows and then recount to make sure I inserted the correct number.

I guess MS does everything right the first time... :rolleyes:
I think you would have to write a macro to do that - which could then be attached to a toolbar button - click the button and tell the code how many rows to input.

·
39,538 Posts
Would this help?

Code:
Sub InsertLines()
Application.Dialogs(wdDialogTableInsertRow).Show
End Sub
Bit of cheat really, but it will bring up the Insert Rows Dialog - just choose the number of rows and they will be inserted wherever the cursor is. You could attached the macro to a button or keyboard shortcut.

Regards

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glaswegian said:
Would this help?
You could attached the macro to a button or keyboard shortcut.

Regards
It probably would help but I've never written a macro and don't know where to start. The macro tool is less than intuitive. If it's at all complicated making one, skip it. This doesn't happen often enough to warrant much time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
With your curser at the end of the row (to the right side of the row you want to insert a row under) and enter.

·
39,538 Posts
Hi yustr

Using the code I posted, it needs to go in a new module in your Normal template. Try this

Paste Code to a New Module

1. Press Alt+F11 from Word to open the VB Editor.
2. Click on Normal.dot in the left pane.
3. Click on ‘Insert’ on the Menu Bar
4. Select ‘Module’ from the list. The new Module will open.
5. Paste the code into the right pane of the Module.

To run from Word, press Alt+F8 to open the macro box and select the macro name.

Regards

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion oldmn. But regardless I still would have to navigate to the end of each row and hit tab 49 times. That's a lot of key strokes when Glaswegian's macro would do it in 4.

FYI: use "Tab" not "Enter" at the end of the row. If I hit enter it just makes that cell two lines high.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glaswegian said:
Hi yustr

Using the code I posted, it needs to go in a new module in your Normal template. Try this

Paste Code to a New Module

1. Press Alt+F11 from Word to open the VB Editor.
2. Click on Normal.dot in the left pane.
3. Click on ‘Insert’ on the Menu Bar
4. Select ‘Module’ from the list. The new Module will open.
5. Paste the code into the right pane of the Module.

To run from Word, press Alt+F8 to open the macro box and select the macro name.

Regards

Works great. Three clicks and any number.... :luxhello: :beerchug: you rock!!!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
yustr said:
Thanks for the suggestion oldmn. But regardless I still would have to navigate to the end of each row and hit tab 49 times. That's a lot of key strokes when Glaswegian's macro would do it in 4.

FYI: use "Tab" not "Enter" at the end of the row. If I hit enter it just makes that cell two lines high.
Didn't Know adout the Tab. The Enter you HAVE to be out side the cell.
You can insert multiple rows with ,tables, insert, rows above or below.
By the way which office are you using? :4-dontkno

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oldmn said:
By the way which office are you using? :4-dontkno
Office Pro 2003

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I am using office 2000 Pro still. I have started using Front Page 2003 and I have found that a lot of the old tricks I used in 2000 no longer work in 2003. :4-dontkno I guess that's what you call new and improved. :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.