Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Here is the deal...

I've had this system for quite a long time now, many years. A few months ago my graphics card broke (8800gts), i got vertical lines all over my screen. I didn't have the money to buy a new one so I used an old crappy 7300 for the time being. Recently I used the 'baking the graphics card in the oven' technique to fix my card. It worked fine in another computer, no lines and also works fine on this one...no lines.

However, now I can just not do anything apart from browsing the internet smoothly. Playing flash videos (such as watching hockey highlights on nhl.com) is terrible. The videos are choppy and laggy, and the same for simple flash games on facebook. I tried playing COD:UO, a game I could play comfortably on this same system last year. I got 10fps!

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I posted it here because i am pretty sure it is not a graphics card issue. The graphics card seemed to work fine in another computer. So it must be motherboard, processor? power supply?

And yes I have updated all my graphics card drivers.

There is also a noise that the system makes when it is working hard (trying to play an online video), and after looking into it it is not a fan, sounds like it is actually coming from the motherboard or processor...

Is there anyway I can figure out what this is. I do plan on upgrading my computer soon but it would be really nice to figure this out!

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I just downloaded Everest and found that under CPU Utilization, CPU #1 is constantly at 0%. CPU #2 goes up to like 98% when I try to do something. The CPU temperature also goes up to like 90 degrees.

I guess that means half of my dual core is dead then?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.