Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I recently purchased a new laptop to use alongside my old PC. On the old system (Win 98, IE5), webpages typically take a few seconds to load (fewer than 10), on a 56k dial-up connection actually running at 38k.

Obviously I would expect similar, if not better performance on the new machine which has Win XP Pro and IE6, and significantly higher system specs. However, this is not the case - although file downloads are basically fine, web pages simply take much longer to load. The status bar moves much more slowly, and instead of displaying the page instantly as it downloads (as in IE5), now nothing will appear until most of it has been pre-downloaded. In effect, pages take about 15-20 seconds, sometimes longer, to load.

I'm a patient man, long used to dial-up and generally satisfied with it on my old machine. But now this new one, on the same connection (at the same theoretical speed) is operating too slowly to be satisfactory. Surely Internet Explorer 6 is not operating to full capacity. There must be a reason for its comparative sluggishness. It seems that the way pages load is inefficient, with pictures taking ages to appear (btw, I checked that software compression is on).

I don't know if this a common complaint amongst XP/IE6 users, but I really need to increase efficiency. One potential solution are these widely advertised 'web accelerators' that claim to 'improve DNS lookup' and other catchphrases. Do they actually work to any noticeable degree (and if so, can you recommend a particular program) or are they merely empty sales ploys?

Another possible factor is that the new laptop machine is designed to operate in very high resolution (1400 x 1050 - it's taken the eyes a while to adjust to this) - could this have an effect on IE's speed? Any advice welcomed...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.