Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, my computer has been informing me that my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate was not genuine - despite the fact that a friend (an IT supervisor for a public organisation) had installed it for me in Januaryt 2010 after a hard disk problem. However, as it was not affecting me in any way, save for not allowing a background picture for my desktop, I left it.

Recently, my internet explorers, firstly IE, then Google Chrome have stopped working properly. Then today having done nothing out of the ordinary, I clicked on spotify, it failed owing to some Javascript problem, and my computer started showing error messages and restarted.

When I got back a windows recovery screen came up suggesting I need to repair certain aspects of my hard drive, and when it could only repair half of them directed me to a payment site to purchase an advanced type of windows recovery for around £50.

Also, it is telling me that I have a hard drive failure, and has seemingly deleted the entire contents when I go on my computer; however, I am still able to access all my music through media player and use internet programs. There is also a message regarding my RAM memory usage being critically high.

Can anyone suggest how I can ratify these problems??

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
what came with that computer? did you get a disk or a certificate of authenticity when the friend installed it? If not, then there is a chance the copy they installed was not legal.

How to Tell

the only thing I can tell you is to try to activate it, if it does not activate, then call microsoft at the phone number it gives.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
georgee.fellows said:
When I got back a windows recovery screen came up suggesting I need to repair certain aspects of my hard drive, and when it could only repair half of them directed me to a payment site to purchase an advanced type of windows recovery for around £50.
It sounds like your computer might be infected, and all those error messages are false in order to get you to buy the company's fake software.

If you'd like one of our security analysts to check your computer for viruses/spyware, please follow the instructions here - NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum - Then start a new thread and post the requested log files in the Virus/Trojans/Spyware forum where an analyst will help you as soon as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help page. However, when I attempted to follow the steps, I am unable to properly save documents without them disappearing and requiring me to search for them within the C: drive. Also, when I use the gmer program, it disappears immediately after I press scan, and my computer prevents me from reopening it. Is there any way around this?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
This could be due to the infection preventing you from running gmer properly. Hang on, I'll see if one of the analysts is available to give more advice. Subscribe to this thread and you'll get an email notification when a reply has been posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.